•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NGC 6951 w\ IFN

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mike7Mak

Mike7Mak

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: New York

Posted 25 September 2020 - 04:48 AM

Hey gang, I'm back, did I miss anything? smile.gif

After taking a year off, fixing a glitch in the mount software, and dabbling with my osc SX694c for a few shots I've gone back to the Atik One 6. I really missed the versatility of binning and separate filters.

Just had a string of 3 or 4 so-called clear nights. Which truth be told were mostly pretty poor. Transparency was so bad there were barely more stars visible than on a full moon night.

So I'm actually pleasantly surprised I was able to get this shot even though it took 4 nights and 13 hours total exposure. As always happens when I take time off I have to re-learn about 50% of my processing skills, particularly involving color. I generally tend to keep color fairly subdued but on this one it's more necessity than preference. If I bump up the saturation it looks awful.

get.jpg?insecure

Edited by Mike7Mak, 25 September 2020 - 04:49 AM.

• astro140, R Botero, PeteM and 4 others like this

#2 buckeyestargazer

buckeyestargazer

Vendor - Buckeyestargazer.net

• Vendors
  • Loc: IN, USA

Posted 25 September 2020 - 07:56 AM

Pretty good Mike!  Especially considering the smoke "clouding" your skies (mine too).  Over the past two weeks I've probably had 11 clear nights (which is unheard of!!!) but alas, most of them were ruined because of the smoke.  

• Mike7Mak likes this

#3 Mike7Mak

Mike7Mak

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: New York

Posted 25 September 2020 - 03:32 PM

A familiar face. Hey Joel, thanks for the bump. Yeah there's been some peculiar sunsets lately too. I wasn't sure it was smoke way over here on the east coast, but I guess that must be it.

Maybe that's what giving me trouble with my color but I seem to remember having this problem before, so maybe not. Odds are it's something in processing I forgot. smile.gif

So just as a general comment to anyone who might know what's going on...

In StarTools, when the color module produces a balanced histogram, i.e. the three color curves are perfectly superimposed, what should be yellow/gold is actually this yukky salmon/orange, and what should be clean royal blue comes out this faded pastel baby blue. No amount of fiddling with balance sliders or process styles gets me closer to what I want.

(edit)...After a few hours of re-working this image from scratch a couple times I've come to the conclusion my color problems are simply poor conditions (smoke, horrible seeing) and insufficient color data. I did manage to get the hues closer to what I was looking for but at near the correct saturation the color noise was atrocious.

Edited by Mike7Mak, 26 September 2020 - 06:48 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics