•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Classic Celestron C5 balance weight

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ANM

ANM

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: El Paso, Texas, USA, Earth, Sol system, Orion-Cygnus arm, Milkyway

Posted 25 September 2020 - 02:33 PM

A couple of months ago I bought a classic C5. I use the 1.25 visual back, an Orion 1.25 Dielectric mirror diagonal, and various Excell eyepieces and the C5 gets pretty tail-heavy. I have some Celestron weights with the little threaded stub sticking out and they work great on both a C90 Astro and a classic C8, but the C5 doesn't seem to have a threaded hole for that use. Am I missing something?

#2 WarmWeatherGuy

WarmWeatherGuy

Skylab

• Loc: Las Cruces, NM 32° N, 107° W

Posted 25 September 2020 - 03:14 PM

You can attach a counterweight to the dovetail. See these images.

#3 Kasmos

Kasmos

Gemini

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 25 September 2020 - 04:18 PM

A couple of months ago I bought a classic C5. I use the 1.25 visual back, an Orion 1.25 Dielectric mirror diagonal, and various Excell eyepieces and the C5 gets pretty tail-heavy. I have some Celestron weights with the little threaded stub sticking out and they work great on both a C90 Astro and a classic C8, but the C5 doesn't seem to have a threaded hole for that use. Am I missing something?

IIRC, the C5 had a little square-ish 'C' clamp with threads that went on the edge of the cell for the weights.

Edited by Kasmos, 25 September 2020 - 04:19 PM.

• Don W and ANM like this

#4 Kasmos

Kasmos

Gemini

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 25 September 2020 - 04:36 PM

C5 Weights.jpg

• ANM likes this

#5 Pete W

Pete W

Messenger

• Loc: Hutto, TX

Posted 25 September 2020 - 06:21 PM

Here's what the counterweight bracket thingy looks like - they can be hard to find:

IMG_0240.jpg

And attached to the edge of the tube - there's a set screw in the hole:

IMG_0241.jpg

Before I picked the bracket up I used a velcro band and a small weight  - this actually works better because it is adjustable by sliding the band up or down the tube. I found that the small screw-on weight a tad too light and the next larger one to be a tad too heavy.

image1.jpeg

• ANM likes this

#6 ANM

ANM

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 25 September 2020 - 06:31 PM

You can attach a counterweight to the dovetail. See these images.

Thanks for the response but the classic C5 is on the original C* fork mount so there is no dovetail. If I try to put a dovetail bar on the C5 I have the same problem, no holes that can be used to attach it.

Here's what the counterweight bracket thingy looks like - they can be hard to find:

attachicon.gifIMG_0240.jpg

And attached to the edge of the tube - there's a set screw in the hole:

attachicon.gifIMG_0241.jpg

Before I picked the bracket up I used a velcro band and a small weight  - this actually works better because it is adjustable by sliding the band up or down the tube. I found that the small screw-on weight a tad too light and the next larger one to be a tad too heavy.

attachicon.gifimage1.jpeg

I guess the clamps are the way to go or the velcro idea. On the clamps where is the set screw?

Edited by ANM, 25 September 2020 - 06:38 PM.

#7 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 25 September 2020 - 06:33 PM

My weights had a clip for the cell edge.

• ANM likes this

#8 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 25 September 2020 - 08:26 PM

There are TWO versions of this clamp. 

The later C5 had a sand cast cell that was much thicker. This version had one of those clamps with a wide curved groove to fit on the cell.

The earlier C5 had a thin machined cell. That version of clamp had a much narrower curved groove.

The wide groove on the later clamp is sloppy on the thin early cell but can be shimmed.

The thin groove on the early clamp won't fit on the thick sand cell. Heads up.

The set screw is an allen type that is down inside the hole weights screw into.  The clamp is put on first, then the weights screw in over the set screw holding the camp to cell.

Edited by apfever, 26 September 2020 - 06:11 PM.

• ANM likes this

#9 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 26 September 2020 - 07:42 AM

I thought the older C5's had the thinner black cell pre 1976 with the small round base and the big round base had the thicker cell. Not sure about the 90's made one arm deal C5.

• Kasmos likes this

#10 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Gemini

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 26 September 2020 - 09:50 AM

Chas is correct. The early 1970s sand cast C5s had an anodized thin front cell with the same outer diameter as the tube.  The later die cast orange tubes went to the fatter cell.  There are two versions of the clips for the weights as apfever says, and a 3rd for the C90.  All as scarce as hens teeth.

Dave

Edited by davidmcgo, 26 September 2020 - 09:53 AM.

• Kasmos likes this

#11 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 26 September 2020 - 06:09 PM

Yes!  I am corrected, the early ones had the nicer machined cell, later ones regressed to the unmachined sand cast.  My bad. I corrected the entry.

Edited by apfever, 26 September 2020 - 06:11 PM.

• ANM likes this

#12 ANM

ANM

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 27 September 2020 - 02:26 PM

There are TWO versions of this clamp. 

The later C5 had a sand cast cell that was much thicker. This version had one of those clamps with a wide curved groove to fit on the cell.

The earlier C5 had a thin machined cell. That version of clamp had a much narrower curved groove.

The wide groove on the later clamp is sloppy on the thin early cell but can be shimmed.

The thin groove on the early clamp won't fit on the thick sand cell. Heads up.

The set screw is an allen type that is down inside the hole weights screw into.  The clamp is put on first, then the weights screw in over the set screw holding the camp to cell.

Thanks! That I did not know...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics