•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Second hand telescope Orion xt 4.5 dob

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Thenewty

Thenewty

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 September 2020 - 02:35 PM

So got an Orion xt 4.5 dob from goodwill. Only problem is it's missing the finder scope stalk and the screw that fits into the eyepiece to hold the eyepieces in place.

So I canabalized the stalk from my power seeker 76 az and used the eyepiece screw to make the telescope complete. Should I anticipate any problems going forward?

Also the collimation was easy with the laser I bought.

Anything else I should check on the scope to make sure it's in tip top shape?

#2 Thenewty

Thenewty

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 September 2020 - 02:54 PM

Also the eyepiece that came with it appear to be very dirty. How do I clean those?

#3 kfiscus

kfiscus

Fly Me to the Moon

• Vendors
  • Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 25 September 2020 - 05:31 PM

I'd recommend taking the center pivot bolt out and inspect and clean the surfaces of the altitude bearing.  Clean and remove any grit that may have become embedded in the white plastic pads and clean the laminate that is face-down.

#4 dmgriff

dmgriff

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: 30 degrees latitude, USA

Posted 26 September 2020 - 09:47 AM

If you need additional eps, Telescope Warehouse have plossl eps for less than 20usd each.

https://telescope-wa...d_by_created_at

Astronomics have their value line plossls

https://www.astronom...iece_series=482

Good viewing,

Dave

Edited by dmgriff, 26 September 2020 - 09:53 AM.

• mwedel and piperwhite62 like this

#5 gene 4181

gene 4181

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: n.e. ohio

Posted 26 September 2020 - 10:08 AM

Can't really beat the Astronomics value line ( GSO's)  plossls for their price , WHO sells a 32 or 40 mm for 32.95 ,    they perform very  nicely in my scopes.   That 32 mm would make a nice low power  wider FOV piece at F7.9. & 900 mm

#6 Thenewty

Thenewty

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 October 2020 - 04:31 PM

Where can you find the finderscope stalk for an Orion xt4.5? The ad clearly showed the stalk came with it but apparently it was not shipped with the telescope. Orion won't sell me a replacement because it's a goodwill purchase.

#7 spaceoddity

spaceoddity

Vanguard

• Loc: Cloudsylvania

Posted 04 October 2020 - 05:43 PM

Not sure what you mean by stalk? Do you mean that it has the finder scope and the mounting shoe but not the part that houses the finderscope and attaches it to the mounting shoe? Usually the finder scope and that part come together as a unit. You can buy a finder scope at most any astro shop or they pop up pretty frequently on CN classifieds, usually the straight-thru finders. I believe you can buy the mounting shoes separately from agena astro.

#8 Thenewty

Thenewty

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 October 2020 - 09:52 PM

I have the shoe and the scope but not the part that connects the finderscope and the shoe. I will look around for an astro shop. Thanks.

#9 Paul Sweeney

Paul Sweeney

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Heidelberg, Germany

Posted 05 October 2020 - 01:01 AM

On this site, in the classifieds section, there is a page for "ATM" parts. Place a want ad for your finder stalk. Make sure you specify what size finder (30 or 50 mm) you want.

A long focal length telescope puts little demand on eyepieces. You will want a low power for finding objects, and a few for zooming in. Keep an eye on the eyepiece section in the classifieds.

Is there a club in your area? If so, contact them. They will be glad to help you get started, and I'd bet that someone will have an extra finder lying around (I've got about 5) that they will let you have cheap. Same goes for eyepieces.
  • Jon Isaacs and spaceoddity like this

#10 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Hubble

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 05 October 2020 - 05:10 AM

For what it's worth, I have always thought that the XT4.5 would work better with a red-dot finder than with a finderscope. So mounting an entirely different finder might be a viable option.

I cannot remember offhand -- does the XT4.5 have a standard finder dovetail attached to its tube? If so, you could use any Orion finder, and many more besides.

#11 Bistromath

Bistromath

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Central Minnesota, USA

Posted 05 October 2020 - 12:10 PM

Where can you find the finderscope stalk for an Orion xt4.5? The ad clearly showed the stalk came with it but apparently it was not shipped with the telescope. Orion won't sell me a replacement because it's a goodwill purchase.

As mentioned above, you may just want to get an Orion red dot finder.  However, All Orion finder scopes and RDFs appear to come with a mounting bracket/shoe that should fit your XT4.5.  So, if your budget allows, you could just get a new finder scope or RDF fromOrion.

#12 SteveG

SteveG

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 05 October 2020 - 03:05 PM

For what it's worth, I have always thought that the XT4.5 would work better with a red-dot finder than with a finderscope. So mounting an entirely different finder might be a viable option.

I cannot remember offhand -- does the XT4.5 have a standard finder dovetail attached to its tube? If so, you could use any Orion finder, and many more besides.

Yes, the standard Synta shoe.

#13 SteveG

SteveG

Cosmos

Posted 05 October 2020 - 03:18 PM

Also the eyepiece that came with it appear to be very dirty. How do I clean those?

You can gently clean them with a Q-tip and some lens cleaner. Fog the lens with your breath and final wipe with a new lens cloth. I've sometimes used a white napkin on lenses for the final clean. Don't use tissue or toilet paper.

#14 SteveG

SteveG

Cosmos

Posted 05 October 2020 - 03:38 PM

I have the shoe and the scope but not the part that connects the finderscope and the shoe. I will look around for an astro shop. Thanks.

You are looking for this:

IMG_3416.JPG

Do you have the finder and the rubber o-ring that sits in the groove of the finder tube?

EDIT: I see you borrowed one from another scope - good job!

Let us know how the new scope works out.

Edited by SteveG, 05 October 2020 - 03:40 PM.

#15 Thenewty

Thenewty

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 October 2020 - 06:03 PM

I took off the dovetail but the one I added doesn't really fit the finderscope.  Its always out of alignment.  One of the members on here has offered to send me a stalk.  Very much appreciated. 

The EPs are a little dirty so I will take the advice of cleaning them with some q tips and alcohol?  How about some eyeglass wipes?  They seem to be much better quality than the Celestron ones I am currently using.  

When I store the scope for the night do I take the scope off the mount?

I really appreciate all the tips.

#16 mwedel

mwedel

Goofing off

• Loc: Claremont, CA

Posted 05 October 2020 - 06:11 PM

That is a great scope! My son has one and I borrow it all the time. Got 108 Messiers with it at my last Messier Marathon. You may find it a little more comfortable with a stand. I have a post on how to build one out of scrap wood here (link).

You can store the scope on the mount. No need to ever take it off, really, except to clean the bearing surfaces, which would not be a common occurrence. We store my son's scope vertically in the garage, with a trash bag over it to keep the dust off. 

The Telescope Warehouse on eBay is a good place to look for accessories, although it's mostly Meade gear and some of their finders use a different shoe than Orion/Vixen/Celestron. Here's the link: http://www.ebaystore...scope-Warehouse

Have fun!

• Thenewty likes this

#17 Thenewty

Thenewty

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 October 2020 - 06:25 PM

At 6ft plus this scope has me leaning over in my camping chair. I will definitely be building a Mount to raise it up a bit. Thank you for the idea!!!!
  • mwedel likes this

#18 vtornado

vtornado

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Northern Illinois

Posted 05 October 2020 - 06:26 PM

If you live in light pollution, red dot finders don't work so well.  They take the hand full of stars you can see naked eye  and cut that in half.

I live in bortle six.  The magnified finder makes mag 4,5 stars which are invisible, visible for more guide stars.

Edited by vtornado, 05 October 2020 - 06:27 PM.

#19 Thenewty

Thenewty

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 October 2020 - 06:38 PM

Yeah I am definitely in a bortle zone of 7 or 8. And my neighbors aren't too happy with the new driveway construction. So maybe that is why they leave the lights on all night. I was able to see pleadies and m52. That was really cool. Hoping to take this camping a few hundred miles from chicago soon. Disappointed that I still can't find Andromeda. But betelgeuse was amazing as well.

Are astro clubs still meeting up for parties with covid happening? I think the ones by me are doing everything virtual. I will definitely have to join one.

#20 vtornado

vtornado

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 05 October 2020 - 06:47 PM

The easiest way to find andromeda is with a pair of binos.  Once you know how to find it, it will be easy with your scope.

#21 SteveG

SteveG

Cosmos

Posted 06 October 2020 - 05:42 PM

The easiest way to find andromeda is with a pair of binos.  Once you know how to find it, it will be easy with your scope.

And be prepared for disappointment, lol.

• vtornado likes this

#22 kfiscus

kfiscus

Fly Me to the Moon

• Vendors
  • Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 06 October 2020 - 08:50 PM

I took off the dovetail but the one I added doesn't really fit the finderscope.  Its always out of alignment.  One of the members on here has offered to send me a stalk.  Very much appreciated. 

The EPs are a little dirty so I will take the advice of cleaning them with some q tips and alcohol?  How about some eyeglass wipes?  They seem to be much better quality than the Celestron ones I am currently using.  

When I store the scope for the night do I take the scope off the mount?

I really appreciate all the tips.

If you're strong enough, you don't need to separate the XT4.5 from its base.  Separating them does make it easier to get in and out of doors.

#23 vtornado

vtornado

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 06 October 2020 - 09:01 PM

And be prepared for disappointment, lol.

disappointing in the burbs compared to hubble images.

amazing that something so far away can be seen.

• Jon Isaacs and JohnnyBGood like this

#24 SteveG

SteveG

Cosmos

Posted 07 October 2020 - 12:36 PM

disappointing in the burbs compared to hubble images.

amazing that something so far away can be seen.

In the early 90’s, you could see it from a small city, and very easy from the ‘burbs.

#25 Thenewty

Thenewty

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 October 2020 - 01:45 PM

Oh I get that it won't look like Hubble but I can't find it. Not giving up and I am still learning. One day I hope.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics