•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

APM 100mm Standard vs ED

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 nykaver

nykaver

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Danbury, CT

Posted 25 September 2020 - 03:43 PM

If this has been discussed previously forgive me and maybe someone could direct me to the thread.

It seems that APM is currently selling three 100mm binos; the Standard (achromat, formerly 'semi-apo'?), the ED and the SD. 

I appreciate the shortcomings of an achromat for the bright, solar system objects.  But for star fields, clusters and deep sky, can the ED performance justify the additional $1,050?  I'd prefer to spend that money on the mount.

Are these the same binoculars with exception of the objectives?  Field illumination and curvature, brightness, performance with a given eyepiece?

#2 SMark

SMark

Skylab

• Loc: Atlanta, GA USA

Posted 26 September 2020 - 02:09 AM

I first purchase the Achro APM 100 (90°) when first introduced, thinking that I would continue using my refractor for planetary viewing. So I chose to save the money and use that instead for some good eyepiece pairs. The Achro didn't disappoint, I loved it. But then after trying the APM out on the big three during their oppositions, I found that I much preferred the binocular views of the planets, regardless of the obvious limits in magnification. So my refractor went into hibernation for the most part. Eventually a used ED APM 100 came up for sale, and I just decided to jump on it. With the two side by side, the improvement on the planets was quite obvious. But not so much on clusters and other deep sky objects. Granted, I am not one who has ever been bothered by a little CA anyway. But since I preferred to use my APM 100 on the planets rather than using my refractor, I'm happy I made  the jump. Had I actually kept using my refractor for planets and such, I would not have upgraded.

Edited by SMark, 26 September 2020 - 02:30 AM.

• ArsMachina and ihf like this

#3 Maksim

Maksim

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Russian Federation

Posted 26 September 2020 - 05:49 AM

Hey.
At the beginning of this year, I myself chose between the 100mm APM-bino semi-APO, ED and SD.
There was an opportunity to try and compare.
The first had a fairly strong chromatism during the day, as well as at night on the moon and planets - just conspicuous, on the stars - good.
I did not notice the second chromatism during the day, only at night on the moon there is a small colored strip along the edge, the planets are also better. The starry sky is good.
I didn’t see chromatism at all - neither day nor night.
I didn't skimp on quality - I needed a very good binocular - and bought a third one, SD.
Yes, it's expensive, but after that I sold all my telescopes - a couple of APOs and one MAC - so much I enjoyed seeing with Two Eyes.
On the planets, the difference between these binoculars is very noticeable, but if you want to use it only as an overview over the starry sky, then you can save money and buy semi-APO or ED, I hardly noticed the difference in the stars.

• ArsMachina, Tyson M, oldmanrick and 2 others like this

#4 range88

range88

Apollo

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Shanghai

Posted 26 September 2020 - 06:52 AM

Buy SD if you can, the quality upgrade 100% justifies that price difference. 

• ArsMachina and oldmanrick like this

#5 Tyson M

Tyson M

Aurora

• Loc: Canada

Posted 26 September 2020 - 03:09 PM

I have an 100mm ED APO I am still evaluating. So far it is a lot of fun, very comfortable with two eyes. Fingernail glaring is obvious and slightly annoying.  But overall, tolerable for what you get I think.

So far the 18UFF x2 and Noblex x2 are fantastic pairs.  I will try the 17.5 morpheus as well.

I have yet to look at planets.  Trying to source another 7mm XW for that job. 

• Boki and ihf like this

#6 nykaver

nykaver

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Danbury, CT

Posted 27 September 2020 - 12:15 PM

I appreciate everyone's thoughts on this.  As I suspected, the ED and SD get a lot of love.

I'm sure the extra $1050 for the ED over the Achro will be forgotten in a short time.  And as the SD is only $300 greater than the ED, it's hard not to justify the SD purchase.  

Guess I'll be saving/waiting a little longer for the SD's.

• Mr. Bill, oldmanrick and j.gardavsky like this

#7 Boki

Boki

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Slovenia, EU

Posted 14 October 2020 - 04:05 AM

Hello all,

Is there a treshold magnification in Apm 100 where fingernails issue dissappears?

Cs, boki

#8 ArsMachina

ArsMachina

Apollo

• Loc: Germany

Posted 14 October 2020 - 05:38 AM

We should not forget that chromatism is not just "a little bit visible color"

The different colors of the light are not focussed into one singe point and this does mean, that you have a light loss with an achromat.

In other words, an SD will show you fainter objects and more details than an achromat of the same size.

Jochen

Edited by ArsMachina, 14 October 2020 - 05:48 AM.

• denis0007dl likes this

#9 denis0007dl

denis0007dl

Binoviewers Expert

• Vendors
  • Loc: Umag, Croatia, Europe

Posted 14 October 2020 - 06:13 AM

The different colors of the light are not focussed into one singe point and this does mean, that you have a light loss with an achromat.

In other words, an SD will show you fainter objects and more details than an achromat of the same size.

Jochen

Thats very true!

• ArsMachina likes this

#10 GamesForOne

GamesForOne

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Knoxville, TN

Posted 14 October 2020 - 08:51 AM

Jochen

I owned the older glossy black APM achromat version of the binos one model prior to the latest magnesium-bodied version, and I roughly estimated about a 0.5 magnitude gain in visibility of the faintest stars between the standard achromat and the APM ED for the 100mm objectives.

That's not a huge difference, but it was clearly a difference.

---

Michael Mc

#11 ArsMachina

ArsMachina

Apollo

• Loc: Germany

Posted 14 October 2020 - 09:22 AM

0.5 maginitude is quite a lot

After this sheet it is about the step from 4" to 5"

This means a 100mm SD Bino has the performance of a 125mm Achomat Bino

https://www.twcac.or...itude_table.htm

The optical quality of a Telescope is often underrated.

All are hunting for aperture and do prefer a bigger lens / mirror over a smaller one of better quality.

I think both has similar impact on the views provided by a telescope.

Go for size AND quality :-)

Jochen

Edited by ArsMachina, 14 October 2020 - 09:43 AM.

• ihf and j.gardavsky like this

#12 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 14 October 2020 - 10:34 AM

Buy SD if you can, the quality upgrade 100% justifies that price difference. 

but

if the extra $1050-1350 means too long a wait or not getting,

achros have  been used, and enjoyed, for a long time.

edj

• Tyson M likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics