•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Small Magellanic cloud and 47 Tucana - 101 hours mosaic

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 imtl

imtl

Apollo

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 25 September 2020 - 08:05 PM

Hi all,

This is my first attempt at a mosaic. I did a 9 panel, 101 hours total integration time LRGBHa on the small Magellanic cloud region.

The data was taken from July 2nd 2020 to September 21 2020. It was by far the hardest thing I ever imaged. I had to battle through different atmospheric conditions, wind, snow!, and technical issues.

Did I do well? Probably not. Did I do bad? probably so. But I learned a lot from it. I know my reducer spacing was a bit off so the stars aren't perfect.

My conclusions are that it is better to take each panel to completion before continuing to the next one when its more than 2-3 panels mosaic.

I find this region fascinating with plenty of Ha zones and the combination of NGC292 and 47 Tuc is beautiful to me. I'm lucky to have it above ahead during winter months here.

I'll probably go back to reprocess it in a while. I need a bit of a break from it to get some perspective. 

Maybe add more panels next year to include a bit more around this.

I would very much appreciate any comments and criticism. 

Here is a table summarizing my acquisition:

Table.jpg

Image scale is 1.13"/pixel FOV is about 4 degrees across

The abin link is: https://www.astrobin.com/ibkn1x/0/

However, the image there is a JPG since the uncompressed file is so big I cannot upload it there (limit of 25MB). I hope it is not too bad.

After doing this project, 10 hours integration time of a target seems...well...like a breeze.lol.gif

Enjoy. Or not tongue2.gif

NGC 292

P.S. Annotated version through PI. (Only the "big" objects, otherwise it will be impossible to read anything. Its just full of text!)

• freestar8n, psandelle, elmiko and 8 others like this

#2 LCWASTRO

LCWASTRO

Viking 1

• Loc: Columbus, Ohio United States

Posted 25 September 2020 - 08:13 PM

or not?!?!?! amazing!

• imtl likes this

#3 descott12

descott12

Vendor - Solar Live View

• Vendors
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 25 September 2020 - 08:45 PM

Beautiful image. So much to look at.  

I had the good fortune of going the New Zealand last November and coming from a Bottle 7 zone, I was absolutely amazed. It wasn't until I had gotten home that I realized that this this massive hazy/white patch seen in the sky with naked eye was one of the Magellenic clouds. Not sure if it was large or small but it was truly amazing to see.

• imtl likes this

#4 jwheel

jwheel

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Fort Davis TX

Posted 26 September 2020 - 08:34 AM

waytogo.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics