•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Devise for tuning

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bigdob24

bigdob24

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Central Illinois

Posted 25 September 2020 - 08:11 PM

Is there any devise that has been successful in tuning an external DS ?

My 100 has the DS out on the end and no way I can reach it while viewing. Haven’t seen anything other than someone’s home built that looked like it worked great but in an observatory setting, I have to take mine apart after each session.

Just curious of its out there

#2 rigel123

rigel123

Hubble

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 25 September 2020 - 08:21 PM

Is there any devise that has been successful in tuning an external DS ?

My 100 has the DS out on the end and no way I can reach it while viewing. Haven’t seen anything other than someone’s home built that looked like it worked great but in an observatory setting, I have to take mine apart after each session.

Just curious of its out there

I just saw that James (hopskipson) in another post mentioned he had Rigelsys make a motorized piece for tuning his DS etalon since he can’t reach it either

#3 hopskipson

hopskipson

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollution Headquarters!

Posted 26 September 2020 - 08:04 AM

I just saw that James (hopskipson) in another post mentioned he had Rigelsys make a motorized piece for tuning his DS etalon since he can’t reach it either

Hi BD,

I have a bunch of motorized focusers from Rigelsys and have contacted Leon to make a custom motorized tuner for my SM 90mm DS II external etalon.   I gave him a few pictures and some measurements he needed to come up with a design.  The first prototype didn't work as intended.  The wheel didn't provide enough friction to turn the tuning ring.  He's sending me another thicker wheel so I think that will solve the issue.  He was able to fabricate the motor mount to attach to the holes on the etalon but I don't know if it's possible with the Lunt.  The nice thing is that the motor can be disconnected with 2 screws and with the mount attached the etalon still fits in the case.

His email is rigelsys@cox.net

#4 bigdob24

bigdob24

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Central Illinois

Posted 26 September 2020 - 08:24 AM

Thanks.  I’ll contact him and see what he says

#5 ASTROTRUCK

ASTROTRUCK

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 06 October 2020 - 04:59 PM

https://www.cloudyni...x/#entry3518566

i had same problem - look well at these images - not costly

strangely depends on whose etelon - coronado meade or lunt -

the external front etelon by meade small tuning ring is very free wheeling to the touch for tuning

BUT one of the club members has a lunt - very !! stiff not free wheeling.

mine in a coronado  ... so i modified the images a bit - still need uprights milled & attached to tube directly in line !!  with hole in each to accept the long tuning rod then the rotating rod freely rotates - at the tuning  ring another disk is made & i used soft camping foam to encircle the disk that is slipped onto the end of the long tuning rod - the soft foam applies NO real pressure to the tuning wheel just old fashioned friction !  to rotate the tuning wheel.

if you know someone with a workshop the 2 right angled uprights 7 the front disk with a hole slides onto end of rod with a capture nut.

i take down this system each time i use the  solar system - at the eyepiece end the rod needs onthing just your fingers rotating the rod

the front disk is smaller than the diameter required to come in contact with the etelon ring with the foam attached around the disk - must ends of foam must not overlap - just touch use a glue called goop to hold the ends together as a continuous  wheel.

- easier than it sounds - study the 2 images on the site  - must be willing to drill 2 holes in tube to accept the uprights directly in line with each other - can modify the holes if no in direct line - make second set of holes in tube if first set not in line the duct tape the first set of holes.

VOILA - IT WORKS

STAY SAFE GUYS

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics