•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Europa transit of Jupiter 9/26/20 2:08 UT

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jmccown

jmccown

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 September 2020 - 09:30 PM

I had an excellent view of the beginning of Europa's transit of Jupiter this evening. Since that moon is a dazzling bright white in color and since it crossed directly over Jupiter's Northern Tropical Belt, it was easily visible with my small scope. I normally can't see transits too well, but can usually see transit shadows. 

• Dave Mitsky, jeremiah2229, Redbetter and 1 other like this

#2 gjanke

gjanke

Messenger

Posted 26 September 2020 - 09:10 AM

After a solid week of pretty decent viewing the clouds have moved and an appear to be here to stay for the next 5 days or so. Bummer...I guess Ill just have to live vicariously through this message board.

Keep up the good work!

#3 bikerdib

bikerdib

Viking 1

• Loc: Southeast Texas

Posted 26 September 2020 - 10:29 AM

Yes, I observed it too.  Even though the 66% illuminated Moon destroyed contrast due to the atmospheric glow from the 96% humidity I was dealing with last night, it was still a nice transit.  I studied it unti it was around 25% across the planet.

On another subject, that same skyglow distroyed contrast while trying to view Mars hours later.

#4 jmccown

jmccown

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 September 2020 - 07:40 AM

I got to see the shadow transit of Ganymede last night.  It first appeared on Jove's disk at about the same latitude as Europa's transit of the previous night. Just at or above the Northern Tropical Belt. 

I was treated to a few minutes of excellent seeing during this observing session, and saw excellent surface detail on Jupiter and Saturn. But then it went back to the usual boiling mush.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics