•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Has anyone tried this lens? Nikon 100mm f/2.8 Series E.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Telescopy

Telescopy

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Somewhere in the America

Posted 25 September 2020 - 09:37 PM

I was debating whether I should post this here or in the film photography forum, as the lens in question was made for film SLRs, but I thought since I only shoot with digital cameras I might as well post here and see what happens.

So, I recently learned about the legendary Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 Ai/Ai-s lens (The lens used by Steve McCurry to photograph the famous Afghan Girl portrait featured on the cover of NatGeo.) This lens has been praised for it's optical quality and has been found to be an excellent astrophotography lens. Now, I was and still am considering this as my next lens purchase, but while looking at Ken Rockwell's Nikon 105mm FX Corner Sharpness Comparison I noticed that the cheap Series E lens seemed to be quite good in the corners, which led me to suspect that it may be a cheaper astrophotography alternative to the more expensive 105/2.5 lens. But of course Ken's pictures are of trees and not stars, and I could not find any examples of this lens being used for astrophotography.

So if anyone reading this has used the Nikon 100mm f/2.8 Series E lens for astrophotography, I'd like to hear your results and maybe even see some images produced with the lens if possible.

Thanks.

Edited by Telescopy, 25 September 2020 - 10:24 PM.

#2 grozmaistor

grozmaistor

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Sofia, Bulgaria

Posted 26 September 2020 - 02:36 AM

Why in SLRs section ;-) if you are digital?

Изпратено с помощта на Tapatalk

#3 Iamhondo

Iamhondo

Explorer 1

• Loc: Salem, MO

Posted 27 September 2020 - 01:15 PM

I expect that most people lean away from the Series E because they are discount lenses. Who wants to spend good sky time flirting with lenses intended to be "affordable"?

I know I seek out Ai/Ai-s. Once you have happy results with those vintages it's temping to stick with them.

If someone does the legwork to demonstrate that the E's are close to the better lines of lenses, I'll bite.

Joe

#4 Telescopy

Telescopy

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Somewhere in the America

Posted 27 September 2020 - 03:58 PM

I expect that most people lean away from the Series E because they are discount lenses. Who wants to spend good sky time flirting with lenses intended to be "affordable"

I agree. I think I'll just try to find a good deal on ebay for a 105mm f/2.5 Ai-s and buy that instead of risking it with the cheaper Series E. 

Although, perhaps one day I'll try out the Series E and write a review on it here in case anyone else is curious about it.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics