•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Odyssey 13.1

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bmoores

bmoores

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 September 2020 - 09:49 PM

I was given an Odyssey 13" telescope from my uncle. It's essentially a big red tube, seems to be made from a cardboard type material. The base is wood of some type. Base rotates 360 deg and tube slants from strait up to horizontal essentially. I have a couple eye pieces for it. I am looking for any information that anyone might have to help me get it up and running, it would be very much appreciated. I have some optics, and have a spotter (don't have the spotter attachment piece to mounts to the tube.) Basically I want to use it to let my kids see the stars and planets and whatnot. 

Thanks in advance for any help.

Edited by bmoores, 25 September 2020 - 09:50 PM.

#2 Echolight

Echolight

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 25 September 2020 - 09:54 PM

What do you mean by "up and running"?

Stick an eyepiece in the focuser and have a look.

• Augustus likes this

#3 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Cosmos

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 25 September 2020 - 10:27 PM

Cleaning and aligning should do it. But don't even touch the mirrors unless you truly are familiar with how to clean them! Those aren't just mirrors; they are first-surface coated telescope mirrors... fragile. You don't clean them like you would a window or a bathroom mirror. That's by far the biggest mistake beginners make, sometimes ruining the thing. Best bet would be to get someone locally (astronomy club!) to help you out.    Tom

#4 39.1N84.5W

39.1N84.5W

He asked for it

• Loc: cincinnati

Posted 26 September 2020 - 11:50 AM

You need a finder scope. Most people use a red dot scope like this.... https://agenaastro.c...dot-finder.html

It slides into this female dovetail shoe like this....
https://agenaastro.c...-mounting-base/

The shoe just screws into the tube using small wood screws.

The other thing I would purchase is a laser collimator like this...

https://agenaastro.c...-2-adapter.html

Getting the two mirrors aligned is important to insure a pleasing optical image. Here's how you use it...
https://youtu.be/VUobqWr8qOY

#5 izar187

izar187

Skylab

• Loc: 43N

Posted 26 September 2020 - 12:15 PM

Is your uncle available to talk to about the scope?

The tube is heavy duty commercial grade concrete form material.

Very good tube material, that is easy to work with.

At one time in the USA it was a common tube material for dobsonian mounted newts.

Most solid tube dobsonians are imported from Asia nowadays, and that material isn't a practical there.

Rolled sheet metal is what is affordably available.

If possible, store the scope in a garage.

Provided it is always dry.

First thing to consider to get to go with it, is a hand truck.

So you do not have to carry it out to use it, as that will get old real fast.

https://www.google.c...iw=1309&bih=764

Edited by izar187, 26 September 2020 - 12:16 PM.

#6 wesastro

wesastro

Lift Off

Posted 26 September 2020 - 06:01 PM

I have a 13.1” Coulter Odyssey that I purchased in the 80’s. They are heavy scopes with spotty optics. They are better for low power viewing and if you can get planets into focus, you have one of the better models. If you can talk with your uncle, he should be able to let you know where this model sits. My scope had terrible optics and couldn’t even get a galaxy in focus, much less a planet. With a 13.1” mirror, you should be able to see structure in galaxies, but they were just blobs. Hopefully you have one of the better mirrors. Start with low expectations so you won’t be as disappointed as I was.

#7 Philler

Philler

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Olathe, Ks. USA

Posted 26 September 2020 - 06:15 PM

I would recommend you mount at least an 8x50 finder scope either straight through one or a right angle correct image finder scope to your 13" Odyssey.  One of these finder scopes won't show many of the fainter dso's, but it will reveal star patterns that you can follow to the dso's you are after.  Also, I would attach either a Telrad or Red dot finder to at least get you pointed in the right area. 

Important question: How well do you know the constellations and the night sky?  If you don't have like an assist devise like a Go-To or Push-To you will need to star hop to find dso's.

Edited by Philler, 26 September 2020 - 06:20 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics