•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Vixen telescopes and Unitron

beginner binoculars
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Nieko

Nieko

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 September 2020 - 11:23 AM

Goodafternoon,

recently i have become the owner of two Vixen Telescopes, the 120S, R100M and a Unitron L=110cm dia=9cm.

I know nothing how to use them and haven't got any idear whitch oculair i need.

Does somebody has a manual or can help me how to use?

Thanks.

Nieko

Attached Thumbnails

• Vixen 120S.jpg
  • Vixen 120s2.jpg
  • Unitron.jpg

• jim kuhns and Sky Muse like this

#2 dmgriff

dmgriff

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: 30 degrees latitude, USA

Posted 26 September 2020 - 12:43 PM

I wouldn;t bother with those old scopes. You can just send them to me, I wont charge you a thing.lol.gif

Nice acquisitions.

Can't give you any info on manuals, sure that many CNers will help you.

Welcome to Cloudy Nights!

Good luck and good viewing,

Dave

Edited by dmgriff, 26 September 2020 - 01:39 PM.

#3 Sky Muse

Sky Muse

Cosmos

• Loc: Mid-South, U.S.

Posted 26 September 2020 - 02:21 PM

Within the first image, that's a Vixen 100mm f/8 Newtonian(reflector).  That one is configured for medium-to-high powers; for the Moon, the planets and double-stars; deep-sky objects, too.

Within the second image, that's a Vixen 120mm f/6.6 fast-achromat(refractor), and configured for low-power, wide-field observations; like a pair of binoculars, but a monocular in this instance.  There's a correcting lens-assembly inside, if I'm not mistaken, in front of the focusser at the back of the telescope; like a "Petzval".  I know someone within this site who's awfully fond of those types of refractors.  If you want to try it out, I'd suggest placing it on the mount within the first image.  The telescope might be able to make use of 1.25" eyepieces, in which case I would suggest a 32mm Plossl, to start out, and for all three telescopes.  

Within the third and last image, and according to your specs, that would seem to be a Unitron 90mm f12 achromat(refractor), and configured for the medium-to-high powers as well, like the reflector.  But that one uses the smaller, .965" eyepieces which are more difficult to source.

For both refractors, a star-diagonal may be required.

• dmgriff likes this

#4 Sky Muse

Sky Muse

Cosmos

Posted 26 September 2020 - 02:41 PM

In so far as manuals, there are manuals for current telescopes that are quite similar to those.  They should be of help...

For the Vixen 100mm f/8 reflector... https://www.telescop...29186_02-09.pdf

For the Vixen 120mm f/6.6 refractor... https://www.telescop...29155_02-09.pdf

For the Unitron 90mm f/12 refractor... https://www.telescop...29112_03-10.pdf

• dmgriff likes this

#5 SteveG

SteveG

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 26 September 2020 - 03:33 PM

The reflector (first picture) is sitting on a very good mount - either Super Polaris or Great Polaris (GP), likely the latter.

PM me for an original pdf of the manual, which also shows how to use it with several old Vixen scopes. Do you have the drive controller (small hand controller with buttons and switches)?

• dmgriff likes this

#6 Nieko

Nieko

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 September 2020 - 03:38 AM

Thanks all for the reactions, i have several oculairs, advice? (see pictures)

And maybe a rare question, it's absolutely  realy not my intention but suppose it is too difficult for me and i want to buy a simpeler type, is there any value here?

Attached Thumbnails

• Barlow lens.jpg
  • Lens1.jpg
  • lens2.jpg
  • Lensen3.jpg
  • Lensen4.jpg
  • stuff1.jpg
  • stuff2.jpg

• Sky Muse likes this

#7 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Hubble

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 27 September 2020 - 05:12 AM

And maybe a rare question, it's absolutely  really not my intention but suppose it is too difficult for me and i want to buy a simpeler type, is there any value here?

Yes, those are classic telescopes. I don't know what the market rates are, but there are lots of people who would love to own them.

#8 Sky Muse

Sky Muse

Cosmos

Posted 27 September 2020 - 06:51 PM

Thanks all for the reactions, i have several oculairs, advice? (see pictures)

And maybe a rare question, it's absolutely  realy not my intention but suppose it is too difficult for me and i want to buy a simpeler type, is there any value here?

I'd say, in addition to the similar manuals provided for each, that you're all set.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: beginner, binoculars

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics