•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron Focal Reducer - #94175 - Celestron say it's not compatible with Edge optics but I have found that not to be the case

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AstroCub

AstroCub

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 September 2020 - 12:07 PM

Hi,

I bought a Celestron focal reducer / corrector lens part #94175 for my non Edge CPC1100.

Celestron say - in bold type no less - that this reducer is not compatible with Edge HD optics. The cost of the dedicated reducer for the Edge optics is ~ $200 more than the non Edge version 

Out of curiousity, and to make sure what Celestron say was correct, I tried the non Edge focal reducer part number #94175 on my 8" Edge telescope - and it works just fine.

The field of view is expanded as it should be and the clarity to the edge of the view is as clear as when not using the reducer. IE vignetting is minimal / non existent

Has anyone else found this to be true with their Edge and non Edge telescopes?

This is significant; the price difference is about $200 between the two reducers and, in my case, the non Edge reducer gives me altitude clearance on the bottom of my Evolution mount whereas using a dedicated Edge reducer ( #94242) would not.

So if you're in a similar situation to me, try the non Edge reducer first before spending an extra $200.

Siouxsie

Edited by AstroCub, 26 September 2020 - 12:09 PM.

#2 descott12

descott12

Vendor - Solar Live View

• Vendors
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 26 September 2020 - 12:14 PM

Interesting. Have you run actually determined your resulting reduction/FOV to see if you are close to the expected 0.63?

#3 AstroCub

AstroCub

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 September 2020 - 12:23 PM

Interesting. Have you run actually determined your resulting reduction/FOV to see if you are close to the expected 0.63?

I have compared the FOV (with the focal reducer in) in my Edge and non Edge telescopes and they appear to be exactly the same. IE both images satisfy expected parameters.

Edited by AstroCub, 26 September 2020 - 12:23 PM.

#4 GalaxyPiper

GalaxyPiper

Viking 1

• Loc: Sacramento, Ca.

Posted 26 September 2020 - 12:30 PM

AHHhh......So Much Pink!

Just JK...

Good info, thanx...

(Now I need to go into a dark room to relax my manly eyes.....) belushi.gif elephant.gif gramps.gif ...

Edited by GalaxyPiper, 26 September 2020 - 12:43 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics