•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Starbound chair wobble

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Men2Boyz

Men2Boyz

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 September 2020 - 12:43 PM

My Starbound chair doesn’t sit on my deck without wobbling. A little wobble is probably inevitable but this one wobbles a lot. Has anyone else experienced this problem? I think I need to return it and try a different chair.

Attached Thumbnails

• E9F6C57B-8F96-44E9-8F9B-E4426DDBBCF8.jpeg

#2 Barlowbill

Barlowbill

Viking 1

• Loc: Tulsa, Oklahoma

Posted 26 September 2020 - 12:45 PM

Try bending.  

#3 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Cosmos

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 26 September 2020 - 01:14 PM

4-legged chair coplanar legs:

>flip it over

>run two strings/threads to form an X

>sand/file/bend one of the two offenders to get the strings to just touch

That's it. It completely takes the floor out of the equation.    Tom

• Paul G, cookjaiii and Men2Boyz like this

#4 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 26 September 2020 - 02:24 PM

My Starbound chair doesn’t sit on my deck without wobbling. A little wobble is probably inevitable but this one wobbles a lot. Has anyone else experienced this problem? I think I need to return it and try a different chair.

Does it wobble when you sit down on it?

Is your deck flat?

I just sat in my Starbound on a flat surface and placed a 5/8" board under one back leg. There's enough play in the mount that it's still stable.

On irregular surfaces, I find the Starbound is more like two close triangles and stable, I rarely sit squarely on the chair.

Jon

• Paul G likes this

#5 Men2Boyz

Men2Boyz

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 September 2020 - 04:51 PM

Deck is slightly sloped but not uneven. I brought chair inside and put on level wood floor to examine the gap. I wonder if all Starbound chairs are built like this. For a $180 chair I am disappointed. I wonder how much shipping back to B&H from West Coast is going to cost. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 6E79ECAD-9F62-4D80-A76C-066E486475C7.jpeg

#6 Men2Boyz

Men2Boyz

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 September 2020 - 04:58 PM

There are times when shifting my body from RACI to focusing tube that I feel unstable. My best location for observing the planets in my backyard is on the concrete deck near the swimming pool. I haven’t had a midnight swim yet but I was more stable with my cheap folding chair except for not being able to have adjustable height.

#7 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 27 September 2020 - 10:59 AM

If return shipping is going to be costly, I see two options:

1) Carefully measure and take a hacksaw to the longer leg.

It's terrible to have to do that with a brand new item but is a fairly easy solution.

2) Even easier is remove the shorter rubber foot and add quarters (25c) to match up the difference.

• Rich V., Sarkikos, TOMDEY and 3 others like this

#8 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Cosmos

Posted 27 September 2020 - 07:52 PM

Deck is slightly sloped but not uneven. I brought chair inside and put on level wood floor to examine the gap. I wonder if all Starbound chairs are built like this. For a $180 chair I am disappointed. I wonder how much shipping back to B&H from West Coast is going to cost. 

But that's nuts! Four simple alternative adjustments shown in this picture:

>bend up at A

>bend down at B

>shim down at C (cap off, insert washers, cap back on)

>cut up at D (cap off, file or cut tube, cap on)

You can even improve the chair by installing Leveling Feet at C and D, so you can adjust it to perfection, on any floor.

Shipping it back would be like returning a jar of peanut butter to Jimmy Carter's Farm 'cause you can't twist the lid off.    Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• 59 four legs.jpg

• vdog likes this

#9 dustyc

dustyc

Viking 1

• Loc: Phoenix,AZ

Posted 27 September 2020 - 08:36 PM

Mine wobbles slightly. Either bend the offending tube or use it on a soft surface (grass).

#10 Men2Boyz

Men2Boyz

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 September 2020 - 10:54 PM

This is not a flimsy, thin aluminum chair. It is 18 lbs of steel. It was built to support 300 lbs. No way I am able to bend anything or file down anything on this chair. Shimming sounded like easiest option. I’ll give it a try.

#11 Chuck2

Chuck2

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Chicago, IL

Posted 28 September 2020 - 12:16 AM

Mine wobbled slightly when new. Tried bending the curved leg, not so easy. Easier to remove a rubber foot from straight leg and insert one or two flat washers inside. Reafix using a drop of Liquid Nails or Gorilla Glue.

After two years of use on concrete surfaces, the rubber feet have worn through.  True Value carries better, larger, heavier duty rubber feet for replacement.

• Sarkikos and Men2Boyz like this

#12 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 28 September 2020 - 07:23 AM

Are all the legs fully installed in the rubber feet?  Get a rubber mallet and bang all the feet in tight.

Mike

• TOMDEY likes this

#13 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Cosmos

Posted 28 September 2020 - 11:38 AM

Mine wobbled slightly when new. Tried bending the curved leg, not so easy. Easier to remove a rubber foot from straight leg and insert one or two flat washers inside. Reafix using a drop of Liquid Nails or Gorilla Glue.

After two years of use on concrete surfaces, the rubber feet have worn through.  True Value carries better, larger, heavier duty rubber feet for replacement.

Good point! I replaced worn feet on mine.    Tom

#14 Rich V.

Rich V.

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 28 September 2020 - 12:04 PM

This is not a flimsy, thin aluminum chair. It is 18 lbs of steel. It was built to support 300 lbs. No way I am able to bend anything or file down anything on this chair. Shimming sounded like easiest option. I’ll give it a try.

Anyone you know have an electrical conduit bender or know an electrician?  A 3/4" steel tube bender should be able to spring an additional degree or so into the right rear leg.  Easy fix.

Rich

#15 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 28 September 2020 - 12:14 PM

Where is Bender when you need him? https://www.google.c...iw=1920&bih=975

Mike

#16 Men2Boyz

Men2Boyz

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 September 2020 - 01:19 PM

The $1.00 solution.  Four quarters in the short leg’s rubber foot and now my chair is balanced. Thanks everyone for the great suggestions.

Attached Thumbnails

• CA9CC15A-E407-4AF6-8694-A79825065047.jpeg

• Sarkikos, stubeeef and vdog like this

#17 Rich V.

Rich V.

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 28 September 2020 - 02:26 PM

The $1.00 solution.  Four quarters in the short leg’s rubber foot and now my chair is balanced. Thanks everyone for the great suggestions.

waytogo.gif   Make sure you put a protective "washer" into the left front foot also if you haven't already.  The bare tubing end cuts through the rubber feet over time.  Washers make the rubber feet last a lot longer.  Worn through a number of feet over the years myself.

Rich

• Men2Boyz likes this

#18 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 28 September 2020 - 06:50 PM

waytogo.gif

Your chair will always be worth a dollar more than mine (or anyone else's).

• Sarkikos and Men2Boyz like this

#19 stubeeef

stubeeef

Viking 1

• Loc: NW NC

Posted 28 September 2020 - 07:03 PM

I was going to suggest a thicker piece of rubber on the end-I'd swap the quarter for washers-I'm cheap.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics