•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New Evolution HD owners.. just get one of these already.

accessories 3d printing tripod equipment Celestron
  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 MarkintheDark

MarkintheDark

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Central KY

Posted 26 September 2020 - 01:29 PM

Starizona.. somebody really had their thinking cap on good n' tight when they came up with this hand controller bracket. My hat's off to you, sir. bow.gif It is 3D printed, and finish may leave a little be desired, but by God, there will be no more fumbling around with the short n' curly cord on azimuth slews. A quick call to Protolabs could probably get this coming off of proper tooling for not too much money.  We use these guys at work... A LOT. 

Anywho.. for $15 and some shipping I just bypassed an awful lot of DIY hoops. *BAM*  I've discovered that telescopes and the gun hobby have a lot in common. "I got this awesome Glock! It's sweet! Except now I need night sights, threaded barrel, slide mods, mag well flair, more mags, a holster, ammo... maybe a trigger group...a light.. .smile.gif "

Gitter done. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Keypad Mount.jpg

#2 SanjeevJoshi

SanjeevJoshi

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Los Altos CA

Posted 26 September 2020 - 01:43 PM

Good one.   Thank you.

#3 enigma-2

enigma-2

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 September 2020 - 01:49 PM

Is it just me or does anyone else get nervous when someone is talking about looking through a twlescope and loading his glock? lol
  • MarkintheDark likes this

#4 Maritime

Maritime

Vostok 1

Posted 26 September 2020 - 01:59 PM

My ppq m2 40 keeps me sound asleep in Seattle....

#5 petert913

petert913

Skylab

• Loc: Silverton, OR

Posted 26 September 2020 - 02:00 PM

"you'll shoot yer eye out, kid !"  :)

#6 MarkintheDark

MarkintheDark

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Central KY

Posted 26 September 2020 - 02:08 PM

"you'll shoot yer eye out, kid !"  smile.gif

"oh my God... I shot my eye out! Ok think... Oh no! My glasses!!"

#7 Maritime

Maritime

Vostok 1

Posted 26 September 2020 - 02:08 PM

I’ll keep an eye out for ya.

#8 WarmWeatherGuy

WarmWeatherGuy

Skylab

• Loc: Las Cruces, NM 32° N, 107° W

Posted 26 September 2020 - 02:33 PM

Here another option using Velcro. The main disadvantage is in outreach. I give the hand controller to the person to move to different parts of the Moon. When they're done they don't know what to do with the hand controller because they can't see the Velcro in the dark.

IMG_0593_1024.jpg

#9 Bean614

Bean614

Apollo

• Loc: Mass.

Posted 26 September 2020 - 02:37 PM

Here another option using Velcro. The main disadvantage is in outreach. I give the hand controller to the person to move to different parts of the Moon. When they're done they don't know what to do with the hand controller because they can't see the Velcro in the dark.

"...they can't see the Velcro in the dark."

Which is why I use White Velcro.

#10 Woody218

Woody218

Vostok 1

• Loc: Bismarck, ND

Posted 26 September 2020 - 03:45 PM

1911 in .45 ACP...enough said!

• Lucky 777 likes this

#11 Maritime

Maritime

Vostok 1

Posted 26 September 2020 - 03:48 PM

That’ll make em see stars!

#12 audioengr

audioengr

Ranger 4

Posted 26 September 2020 - 04:26 PM

Starizona.. somebody really had their thinking cap on good n' tight when they came up with this hand controller bracket. My hat's off to you, sir. bow.gif It is 3D printed, and finish may leave a little be desired, but by God, there will be no more fumbling around with the short n' curly cord on azimuth slews. A quick call to Protolabs could probably get this coming off of proper tooling for not too much money.  We use these guys at work... A LOT. 

Anywho.. for $15 and some shipping I just bypassed an awful lot of DIY hoops. *BAM*  I've discovered that telescopes and the gun hobby have a lot in common. "I got this awesome Glock! It's sweet! Except now I need night sights, threaded barrel, slide mods, mag well flair, more mags, a holster, ammo... maybe a trigger group...a light.. .smile.gif "

Gitter done. 

Trigger mods are well worth it, but no returns and it may even be illegal in your state. I prefer S&W myself, but the trigger mods are essential.

I'm getting one of these "holsters".

Edited by audioengr, 26 September 2020 - 04:27 PM.

#13 SanjeevJoshi

SanjeevJoshi

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Los Altos CA

Posted 26 September 2020 - 05:14 PM

I am getting one of these holsters as well.    Bending down and picking up and then reholstering on the tripod is a pain.

I must say Czechmate, thats my all time favorite, well over all the customs (incl WC and LB). 1.8 lb trig, and if that seems too light, you have a different problem :)

#14 Rick Kapela

Rick Kapela

Explorer 1

• Loc: Newnan, GA

Posted 26 September 2020 - 08:30 PM

I have the version for the NexStar SE mount, love it.  Soooooo much easier to put the HC in there rather than fighting to get it in the side of the mount just right.  The little things make a difference.

#15 gnome

gnome

Lift Off

Posted 27 September 2020 - 09:33 AM

I've just been sliding the controller through the mount handle and living with it for now. This kind of hack sounds perfect though for the person who doesn't want to stick anything permanently like Velcro. Thanks for the find.

#16 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Soyuz

• Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 27 September 2020 - 12:47 PM

If you have the 6" or 8" Evolution you can clip your regular HC Cradle to the same mount carry arm. Unfortunately the cradle for the 9.25" is too large as the tripod legs are thicker.

However, mine eventually snapped. So I bought the said Starizona HC cradle replacement. Cost me £15 plus about $30 shipping to the UK. Would be helpful if Starizona sold a production licence to a UK dealer with a 3D printer!  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories, 3d printing, tripod, equipment, Celestron

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics