•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

I wonder what have I taken a photo of?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mintaka77

mintaka77

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Norwich, UK

Posted 26 September 2020 - 03:52 PM

I finally got my first stacked astrophotograph that contains nebulosity!  After months/years of Murphy's law creating a sort of Drake equation for the probability of getting a half decent astrophoto being similar to the experience of astronomers currently looking for earth-like planets, there was a clear moonless night at the weekend, x my mount was aligned and doing goto and perfect tracking, x my equipment balanced, x my DSLR camera properly focused with live view zoomed in at the eyepiece of the refractor, x Magic Lantern properly set, x camera batteries didn't die x dew didn't come down x I didn't kick the tripod x and 50 x 15 second RAW light images and some dark frames saved  x stacked at first try with Astro pixel processor! 

My reaching this basic stage is in no small part due to the help I have received on this website, so many thanks to all who have answered my posts over the years.  (I realize, my alignment is not that great, as I have still not cracked the precise balancing and precise polar alignment problem to enable exposures longer than 15 sec through the refractor, but at least it was good enough to get to this stage! ...and also, I need to take white flats in daylight to improve the picture further, which I could still do).  

However, since I put the DSLR directly on to the 93mm f5.5 triple achromat refractor, I think the image is upside down and backwards.  This makes it hard to compare with a star atlas (I have gone to the free Tri-Atlas star charts on line, since the FOV seems to be about 2x2 degrees so very small on my star atlas) to see whether I have actually photographed where I thought I had.  The photo is near Sadr in Cygnus.  I recall that Sadr was to the right of centre in the DSLR live view, but in the processed photo it is to the left.  Which makes me wonder if the software already flipped it - but it can't 'know' whether flipping is necessary or not since I might have been using simply a telephoto lens. 

Also, the file is a 253Mb FITS file.  I am not sure how to get it out of astropixel processor in a more friendly format ...?  It doesn't seem to have a save as JPG option...

• limeyx likes this

#2 John Rogers

John Rogers

Viking 1

Posted 26 September 2020 - 04:00 PM

Will your software allow you to create a smaller FITS (or any format) file?  If so, then you can upload your photo to nova.astrometry.net and it will tell you everything you want to know about your field.  It accepts a lot of different image formats including FITS.

• bobzeq25 likes this

#3 ismosi

ismosi

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: New London, Pennsylvania, USA

Posted 26 September 2020 - 04:14 PM

In a refractor without a star diagonal the image is rotated 180 degrees.

astrometry.net will do an astrometric solution. If you own TheSkyX it can do astrometric solutions as well.

I am not an Astropixel Processor user but there *has* to be a way to 'export' or 'save as' a JPG or PNG that can be shared online.

Looking forward to seeing your result! 

Edited by ismosi, 26 September 2020 - 04:15 PM.

#4 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 26 September 2020 - 04:15 PM

Will your software allow you to create a smaller FITS (or any format) file?  If so, then you can upload your photo to nova.astrometry.net and it will tell you everything you want to know about your field.  It accepts a lot of different image formats including FITS.

PlateSolve2 also works, and you can do it offline.  It's a good skill to master, and not that hard, once you've got the hang of it.

#5 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Vanguard

• Loc: NE Kansas

Posted 26 September 2020 - 04:22 PM

When you save in APP it gives you the option to export as FITS TIFF or JPEG

Untitled.jpg

#6 DJL

DJL

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 26 September 2020 - 05:39 PM

Top right under the histogram, click Save, with the Stretch checkbox checked. You get a popup asking for a filename. Then you get a second popup offering a choice of FITS, TIFF or JPEG. Then a 3rd popup for JPEG quality if you selected JPEG. Then a 4th popup for color profile, e.g. sRGB. After that it should save.

Before I figured this out, I was in a hurry to show somebody my first image and actually screenshotted the app :-).

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics