•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Best of the ETX line?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bonco2

Bonco2

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 26 September 2020 - 03:58 PM

I'm considering searching for a used  ETX and would like to hear from owners or those with experience. Which model seems to have the best quality optics? So far I've read on the classic forum that the 90mm seems to held in high regard. How about the other models?

Bill

#2 markb

markb

Apollo

• Loc: Arizona at last, goodbye NY. Light pollution still awful though

Posted 26 September 2020 - 04:14 PM

Terrabeam special purpose hand selected 125, but uncoated, Wegat back. Tough to find.

Very early etx90s tended to be excellent to perfect.

Kind of a crap shoot though. Most are at least very good generally, I had one perfect 90 and 2 excellent ones. Sold them all because they were too small for me, but I still would like a top shelf 125.

Gave up on getting a near perfect 125 without having to buy, sort, and sell off several of them, and wasn't ready to pay the premium for a Terrabeam.

All of mine had excellent internal flats, so that ceased to be a worry for me.

If someone is willing to share a documented DPAC or other valid test method, jump on it.

The mechanicals are ... price driven. Autostar 497s must be handled carefully when unplugged, it doesn't take much (static??) to kill them. Ive had two die for no reason. The software is nicely set up though.

If you get a 125 do not mount a dovetail on the tripod base without reinforcing it etc. Rings are far far better, and help with eyepiece locating.

Edited by markb, 26 September 2020 - 04:17 PM.

#3 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 26 September 2020 - 06:04 PM

I have at least one example of each ETX. The quality of the optics is pretty consistent across the line. Which is 'best' is a personal matter. Overall, the 125 is the crown jewel of the ETX line. The 90 is likely the most common, the 105 is relatively rare. The little refractors give nice, wide, binocular like views. The 80 is very nice, the little 60 is cute.

If'n it were me I'd keep my open for a 125 or 90, and ponder a 105 if one becomes available.

Food for thought.

#4 Bonco2

Bonco2

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 26 September 2020 - 06:43 PM

So far It seems to me the early 90mm seems the best for me. We'll see what shows up for sale.

Bill

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics