•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter's swarm of tiny satellites?

astrophotography cassegrain catadioptric Celestron CMOS imaging observing report planet
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Eppur si muove

Eppur si muove

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 September 2020 - 04:07 PM

Hello everyone!

Look at these images. The first one is a composite of a regular pic with the same one overexposed. Note that the moon only appears when the photo is overexposed. In doing that, I noticed these red and blue dots around the planet. Could they also be tiny satellites? Any idea?

Thanks!

Ed

Nexstar 6¨se + neximage 10

Attached Thumbnails

• Jupiter 20-06-17.jpg
  • Jupiter 20-06-17 Upper.jpg
  • Jupiter 20-06-17 Lower.jpg

#2 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colchester, VT

Posted 26 September 2020 - 04:16 PM

Maybe some sort of chromatic abberation?  The moon has a smaller red halo as well. 

#3 EJN

EJN

Aurora

• Loc: Between eigenstates

Posted 26 September 2020 - 04:44 PM

It's camera noise from the glare of the overexposed image of Jupiter.

#4 Redbetter

Redbetter

Cosmos

• Loc: Central Valley, CA

Posted 26 September 2020 - 05:00 PM

These are known as the "Muskovite" family of Jovian satellites--they were put into orbit by Elon Musk just to further annoy astronomers.

• Mike G., Peter Besenbruch, Berny and 4 others like this

#5 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Cosmos

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 26 September 2020 - 05:34 PM

I wouldn't fire off a discovery report to the Central Bureau for Astronomical Telegrams (CBAT) quite yet. Oh, would that discovering moons were this easy... but no, as the end of a freshly-cut rope might say... "I'm a frayed knot!"    Tom

• Berny likes this

#6 Xyrus

Xyrus

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 28 September 2020 - 01:43 PM

That's camera noise, enhanced by whatever processing you're doing. Looks like you're using Registax 6 wavelet processing. The ringing is a well known side effect.

It would be physically impossible for a 6" scope to resolve any such "moonlets". 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, cassegrain, catadioptric, Celestron, CMOS, imaging, observing report, planet

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics