•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What other possible observations can I add to the Observatory?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Am33r

Am33r

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 26 September 2020 - 04:58 PM

Hey Guys

I am trying to bring more dedicated instruments to campus for Observation (Not Astrophotography).

Besides:

Night Time Telescope

Solar White Light

Hydrogen Alpha Telescope

Radio Telescope

Star Analyzer Camera

We have a laptop with software for the Radio Astronomy, and Star Analyzer; the same laptop we also use for AP.

Besides all that, what else would be a good station?

Thank you in advance

Edited by Am33r, 26 September 2020 - 05:00 PM.

#2 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 26 September 2020 - 07:08 PM

If you have the budget for it you might consider sodium and calcium filters as well as the H alpha.

Remember that in some cases you can buy dedicated whole telescopes with the solar gear built in or you can buy solar gear that you can use with a white light refractor.

Look up airylab for some dedicated solar SCTs in apertures of 200m and more.
  • Am33r likes this

#3 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 26 September 2020 - 09:31 PM

Here's a link to airylabs

• Am33r likes this

#4 John Carlini

John Carlini

Messenger

• Loc: Northern Wyoming

Posted 26 September 2020 - 10:47 PM

One thing I've considered for my observatory is an all-sky camera to monitor meteor activity.

#5 Am33r

Am33r

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 27 September 2020 - 04:10 AM

If you have the budget for it you might consider sodium and calcium filters as well as the H alpha.

Remember that in some cases you can buy dedicated whole telescopes with the solar gear built in or you can buy solar gear that you can use with a white light refractor.

Look up airylab for some dedicated solar SCTs in apertures of 200m and more.

Thank you very much, I will check on the more expensive setup. I will check out the daystar Ca and Na filters.

I chose the Dedicated scopes so students don't mistakenly look through the scope without a filter, and so they don't have to install or remove filters. I

Edited by Am33r, 27 September 2020 - 04:11 AM.

#6 Am33r

Am33r

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 27 September 2020 - 04:10 AM

One thing I've considered for my observatory is an all-sky camera to monitor meteor activity.

What is the Setup you use?

#7 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 27 September 2020 - 11:48 AM

A good security system....not a joke.

#8 John Carlini

John Carlini

Messenger

• Loc: Northern Wyoming

Posted 27 September 2020 - 10:53 PM

What is the Setup you use?

I'm currently converting one of my little used planetary cameras into an all-sky camera. Here is an article talking about similar endeavors:

https://www.skyatnig...all-sky-camera/

It's a low-cost project that students could work on. The alternative is more expensive COTS products like Alcor Alphea or Starlight Xpress Oculus. Monitoring software varies quite a bit. I'm going with a simple recording system that could run in the background to help verify visual observations.

• Am33r likes this

#9 Am33r

Am33r

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 28 September 2020 - 06:45 PM

I'm currently converting one of my little used planetary cameras into an all-sky camera. Here is an article talking about similar endeavors:

https://www.skyatnig...all-sky-camera/

It's a low-cost project that students could work on. The alternative is more expensive COTS products like Alcor Alphea or Starlight Xpress Oculus. Monitoring software varies quite a bit. I'm going with a simple recording system that could run in the background to help verify visual observations.

This is awesome! Thank you.  I think I'll add one of these.

#10 quality guy

quality guy

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Keithville Lousiaina

Posted 28 September 2020 - 08:17 PM

A SSP3 UVB solid state Photometer from Optec, these units are very durable and can provide a excellent opportunity for students to learn and perform multi-band stellar photometry. Several of these units are being used by the AAVSO PEP members to monitor Beteleguse in V & B bands, this amateur collected data is being shared with professional astronomers who are currently performing research of Betelegeuse. I am a proud and active user of a SSP5 (PMT) UVB photometer with the AAVSO PEP Group.

Edited by quality guy, 29 September 2020 - 10:57 AM.

• dhkaiser likes this

#11 Am33r

Am33r

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 30 September 2020 - 03:08 PM

A SSP3 UVB solid state Photometer from Optec, these units are very durable and can provide a excellent opportunity for students to learn and perform multi-band stellar photometry. Several of these units are being used by the AAVSO PEP members to monitor Beteleguse in V & B bands, this amateur collected data is being shared with professional astronomers who are currently performing research of Betelegeuse. I am a proud and active user of a SSP5 (PMT) UVB photometer with the AAVSO PEP Group.

Wow, thank you. I have heard of these when I was in college but never saw one or knew anything about them.

I would have loved to be part of an experiment using one, the the SSP5 you are working on is top of the line

https://optecinc.com...og/ssp/ssp3.htm

Wanted to ask you if you know, is this better on a reflector or a refractor? and what is an optimal aperture?

Edited by Am33r, 30 September 2020 - 03:12 PM.

#12 t-ara-fan

t-ara-fan

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: 50° 13' N

Posted 01 October 2020 - 01:00 AM

Radio Telescope

https://www.popastro...observing-2020/

Radio meteor observing 24/7

• Am33r likes this

#13 Am33r

Am33r

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 01 October 2020 - 02:49 AM

https://www.popastro...observing-2020/

Radio meteor observing 24/7

Thank you! I appreciate thinking outside the box.

I put together a similar project for my students to use utilizing a dongle, check it out

https://www.cloudyni...ite-dish/page-2

#14 Am33r

Am33r

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 18 October 2020 - 02:14 PM

I forgot to mention, I did make a Ha filter for my 8" SCT a few months ago, it's almost exactly their method where I designed a Central ERF and then a Day Star Quantum filter (barlow is optional). Worked great

https://hackaday.io/...ct/170810-erf-x

8922321586748962871.jpg

Edited by Am33r, 18 October 2020 - 02:15 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics