•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Canadian telescope retailers

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#26 noisejammer

noisejammer

Fish Slapper

• Moderators
  • Loc: The Uncanny Valley

Posted 19 January 2021 - 03:38 AM

I've bought several things from KWT and Ontario Telescope. Both are run by decent folk.

You might want to be cautious about KWT's web site - it used to be completely out of touch with fluctuating exchange rates so that the advertised price was frequently wrong.

Steve (at Ontario Telescope) was able to deliver just about anything I requested pretty quickly.

#27 junomike

junomike

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 19 January 2021 - 07:33 AM

I've bought several things from KWT and Ontario Telescope. Both are run by decent folk.

You might want to be cautious about KWT's web site - it used to be completely out of touch with fluctuating exchange rates so that the advertised price was frequently wrong.

Steve (at Ontario Telescope) was able to deliver just about anything I requested pretty quickly.

A few months ago I seen they still had the Vixen HR's (on their website)  and inquired .   Turns out they didn't even know they had been discontinued.

Overall they were pleasant to deal with and I've dealt with them before.

#28 junomike

junomike

ISS

• Moderators

Posted 19 January 2021 - 07:37 AM

Here in Squamish , BC.

Call Harout at Markarian Fine Optics in Vancouver.

I had an exceptional transaction with Harout when he was at Canadian Telescopes.

#29 t-ara-fan

t-ara-fan

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: 50° 13' N

Posted 19 January 2021 - 05:47 PM

Imaging Starlight https://www.imagingstarlight.ca/ is a good source for ZWO products, assorted filters, and Starizona products. George is very helpful and friendly.  He is a straight shooter about what is in stock or arriving soon.

Edited by t-ara-fan, 19 January 2021 - 05:48 PM.

#30 kbastro

kbastro

Apollo

• Loc: Running from Clouds

Posted 19 January 2021 - 10:01 PM

All-star Telescope, for scopes

Imaging Starlight for ZWO cmos cameras

you can never go wrong with these choices

kb

#31 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 20 January 2021 - 12:09 AM

I had an exceptional transaction with Harout when he was at Canadian Telescopes.

I need a couple of whatevers, in my searching today I found that the Markarian website is the most unfriendly in terms of accessing to view their products that I have ever seen, worse than Khan by far ! As far as friendly, expert service I couldn’t tell you because I could not get on for the life of me. Without saying it you get the feeling that you have to register with their site before you get on, I don’t operate that way just to see what they have ! Canadian Telescopes was a great company, I bought a lot from them, as they say ‘only the good go out of business young’, unfortunately !

#32 junomike

junomike

ISS

• Moderators

Posted 20 January 2021 - 07:52 AM

I need a couple of whatevers, in my searching today I found that the Markarian website is the most unfriendly in terms of accessing to view their products that I have ever seen, worse than Khan by far ! As far as friendly, expert service I couldn’t tell you because I could not get on for the life of me. Without saying it you get the feeling that you have to register with their site before you get on, I don’t operate that way just to see what they have ! Canadian Telescopes was a great company, I bought a lot from them, as they say ‘only the good go out of business young’, unfortunately !

No idea why you had an issue.  I can get on a browse with little effort.  Are you sure you were on Markian Fine Optics?

#33 junomike

junomike

ISS

• Moderators

Posted 20 January 2021 - 07:53 AM

All-star Telescope, for scopes

Imaging Starlight for ZWO cmos cameras

you can never go wrong with these choices

kb

Didn't even know they existed..Thanks!

#34 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

Posted 20 January 2021 - 09:14 AM

No idea why you had an issue.  I can get on a browse with little effort.  Are you sure you were on Markian Fine Optics?

I know exactly where I was, its not the first time, its not one of the most easy sites but this time it was even worse. And I don’t criticize any of these hard working guys unless it is justified, not saying they aren’t a great bunch but ........ !  PS: I will visit the site again !

#35 silverking

silverking

Vostok 1

• Loc: Canada

Posted 20 January 2021 - 11:42 AM

I've been purchasing from Steve at Ontario Telescope for years now.

Always excellent service and great communication.

#36 van_isle_skies

van_isle_skies

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 January 2021 - 02:59 PM

I know exactly where I was, its not the first time, its not one of the most easy sites but this time it was even worse. And I don’t criticize any of these hard working guys unless it is justified, not saying they aren’t a great bunch but ........ !  PS: I will visit the site again !

The only issue I've had with Markarian is the difficulty in getting in contact with someone, which is probably just indicative of how busy they are.  I'm just across the Strait.  While I may define visiting a telescope retailer via ferry as a "critical need", I'm sure our provincial medical officer would disagree :D.

That being said, I can't say enough good things about the crew at KW Telescope.  When I'm looking for something oddball or uncommon, they are the first ones I contact.

#37 kbastro

kbastro

Apollo

• Loc: Running from Clouds

Posted 20 January 2021 - 03:10 PM

Didn't even know they existed..Thanks!

Anytime Mike! both have nice websites,, easy to window shop about!

kb

#38 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

Posted 20 January 2021 - 07:33 PM

The only issue I've had with Markarian is the difficulty in getting in contact with someone, which is probably just indicative of how busy they are.  I'm just across the Strait.  While I may define visiting a telescope retailer via ferry as a "critical need", I'm sure our provincial medical officer would disagree laugh.gif.

That being said, I can't say enough good things about the crew at KW Telescope.  When I'm looking for something oddball or uncommon, they are the first ones I contact.

I buy from KW, their website is still work in progress !

#39 ecorm

ecorm

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Under the Jetstream, New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 23 February 2021 - 10:36 PM

One thing I've learned from Canadian retailers is to never trust their online inventory status. It seems Canada lacks the technology to keep online inventory status accurate. Ontario Telescope seems to be the most reliable in this respect, but they're not always 100% accurate.

If it's something you need in a hurry, check with them via phone or email first to ensure that it's in stock.

In addition to the Canadian retailers, a U.S. supplier that I sometimes like to use is B&H Photo. While they're mainly a photography and A/V equipment store, they do have a decent selection of astronomy gear. At checkout, they have an option to collect all duties and taxes up-front. This way, you don't get surprised with dreaded brokerage fees, and you don't have to go to the post office to pay for customs. Shipping is always fast from them when customs are prepaid.

While I naturally prefer to shop Canadian whenever possible, the Canadian retailers often don't carry some of the specialty items I need. Because of that, I wish all the other major US astronomy shops could offer the same customs prepayment option as B&H. Are you U.S. retailers listening? wink.gif

Edited by ecorm, 23 February 2021 - 11:40 PM.

• Tim and LDW47 like this

#40 RandallK

RandallK

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Nanaimo, B. C. Canada

Posted 25 February 2021 - 07:13 PM

I’ve used Markarian Fine Optics for the last few years and have (and still have) the 19 telescopes I purchased from them. Harout Markarian is the owner and they’re located near Kingsway and Knight St in Vancouver, BC.  Good and knowledgeable guys. 

https://markarianfineoptics.ca/

JR

Only a portion of their inventory is on their website so phone or email to check 

Buyer beware. I got my iOptron CEM40 Non EC mount from Astronomie Plus in Quebec (formerly Lire la Nature. Price was 2800.00 plus GST. Markarian  is charging $4487.00 before taxes and only includes a 1.5" tripod. Either he's listed this item incorrectly or his pricing is about $1600 more. (BTW my price included shipping!!)

Edited by RandallK, 25 February 2021 - 07:16 PM.

#41 Tim

Tim

Viking 1

• Loc: Kitchener, Ontario

Posted 25 February 2021 - 09:50 PM

here is a link to Canadian used Astrobuysell - 0n this page is a link to Canadian telescope dealers I have purchased from a number of them. Few previously mentioned are good and would recommend 

https://www.astrobuysell.com

#42 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

Posted 25 February 2021 - 09:56 PM

One thing I've learned from Canadian retailers is to never trust their online inventory status. It seems Canada lacks the technology to keep online inventory status accurate. Ontario Telescope seems to be the most reliable in this respect, but they're not always 100% accurate.

If it's something you need in a hurry, check with them via phone or email first to ensure that it's in stock.

In addition to the Canadian retailers, a U.S. supplier that I sometimes like to use is B&H Photo. While they're mainly a photography and A/V equipment store, they do have a decent selection of astronomy gear. At checkout, they have an option to collect all duties and taxes up-front. This way, you don't get surprised with dreaded brokerage fees, and you don't have to go to the post office to pay for customs. Shipping is always fast from them when customs are prepaid.

While I naturally prefer to shop Canadian whenever possible, the Canadian retailers often don't carry some of the specialty items I need. Because of that, I wish all the other major US astronomy shops could offer the same customs prepayment option as B&H. Are you U.S. retailers listening? wink.gif

I have had great luck with B&H !

#43 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

Posted 25 February 2021 - 10:00 PM

Buyer beware. I got my iOptron CEM40 Non EC mount from Astronomie Plus in Quebec (formerly Lire la Nature. Price was 2800.00 plus GST. Markarian  is charging $4487.00 before taxes and only includes a 1.5" tripod. Either he's listed this item incorrectly or his pricing is about $1600 more. (BTW my price included shipping!!)

I find Markarian’s web site the most unfriendliest site in Canada when it comes to finding what you want, in every way !  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics