•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Manfrotto 161mk2b issue

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Pillars Of Creation

Pillars Of Creation

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Zeeland (NLD) ...if it's dutch it ain't...

Posted 26 September 2020 - 09:40 PM

Hi,

Recently my Manfrotto 161mk2b is starting to vibrate and making noise when you drop the center column. It always happens when the lever is between 11 and 2 o'clock. When this happens the closest leg or the thin metal tubes on the on the exterior of the center colum tube is also making noise (ticking noise) 

Also you feel a little more tension in the lever between 11 and 2 o'clock. 

The tripod is never used in sandy environments. I used some high pressure air to remove dirt/dust if there was any at all and some WD40, but i didn't help at all.

Further if you gently apply pressure to one side of center column the issue is gone, or what also helps is to push the lever a bit like if you would lock it.

What could be the culprit?

BTW, i never disassembled the tripod, because i am not sure if i can do this without a tutorial or manual. I recently contacted Manfrotto, but haven't received a reply yet.

#2 Rich V.

Rich V.

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 05 October 2020 - 05:09 PM

Hi, just ran across your question.  Don't know if Manfrotto has answered you but if the crank handle "clicks" in the same rotational position on every revolution, it's seems likely that the worm gear on the end of the crank is damaged.  The worm turns a spur gear that engages the rack teeth on the column.  

You need to open up the tripod crown and inspect.  The handle/worm assy is part # R161,39 and the rack gear is R161,50 as listed in this product parts page and diagram.  Hope it helps with your quest.

https://www.manfrott...mk2b-parts.html

Over time I've found the rack gear shows some wear but I suspect it's the crank/worm based on the symptoms.  Use a quality grease like Super Lube sparingly. You don't want grease to get the rack teeth in the column; that would be a mess.  I'd never recommend a light spray lube/solvent like WD40.

Good luck,

Rich

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics