•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Wanting to start a weekly virtual star party EAA.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Gemini

• topic starter
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 26 September 2020 - 10:56 PM

I stream on youtube once in a while using one of my OSC CMOS cameras. I have the QHY600, the QHY462 and the ZWO294 pro.

The other night I streamed via ZOOM for my wifes 6th grade class (they are studying the moon) and they had a great time.  I also took a look at Jupiter and Saturn for a bit.

I was thinking of how fun it would be to do a weekly virtual star party for people of all ages.  Either using Zoom or 

Google Meeting.

However I'd like to get a few more people involved so we can each show off one or two objects and talk a bit about them.

Nothing too serious.  Keeping it more causal and less PHD level :)

If you'd like to do something like this please get in touch.

Just keep in mind you'd have to be able to do it on a weekly bases.  For example every Wednesday 1 hr after dark.  

#2 Todd1561

Todd1561

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 27 September 2020 - 07:20 AM

Sounds like a great idea, I’ve enjoyed watching Gary’s recent broadcasts and this sounds similar. I wouldn’t be able to participate as a broadcaster because of time commitment constraints these days, but I’d participate as a viewer when possible. Be sure to let us know if this gets off the ground.

#3 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 27 September 2020 - 08:47 AM

I was thinking of how fun it would be to do a weekly virtual star party for people of all ages.  Either using Zoom or 

Google Meeting.

If you decide to do this, you can always post an announcement ahead of time in the Live Broadcast Announcements thread - Corey was the last person to announce his broadcast there a couple of days ago.

#4 garyhawkins

garyhawkins

Mariner 2

• Loc: San Diego

Posted 27 September 2020 - 06:08 PM

I'm streaming on YouTube tonight from San Diego, assuming the clouds don't build up any more - https://youtu.be/8zmeUPo2xas

Your idea sounds great, here are a couple of thoughts.  It's going to be much easier to connect with a younger audience after we move out of DST.  Weekdays kids are at school and some are in bed as early as 7:30pm (at least reading, etc.).  I've worked with https://www.weimpactcommunity.com/ and they schedule at the weekend for this reason.  Making a regular commitment is challenging but if you get enough people 'sitting on the bench' so to speak it should be easy enough to pull 2 or 3 together for a presentation.

CS Gary

Edited by garyhawkins, 27 September 2020 - 06:09 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics