•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Second crack at imaging planets with smartphone

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Fiz79

Fiz79

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Markham, Ontario, Canada

Posted 26 September 2020 - 11:11 PM

Hey all!

I posted an image of Mars in another topic that I had taken a couple of days ago, but the magnification was low. Tried again tonight, and also took a stab at Jupiter and Saturn. I'm still learning the ins and outs of what looks good with wavelets in Registax, but wanted to share the images. These were taken, like my previous image of Mars, with my 80 mm refractor telescope (8 mm setting on zoom eyepiece, and 2x Barlow), a digiscoping adapter, and an old iPhone 6s I have lying around. Images were shot with Nightcap camera app.

Feedback is most welcome, especially regarding the sharpening from messing with the wavelets. Thanks!

Jupiter (September 26th, 2020).png

Saturn1.png

Mars (September 26th, 2020).png

Edited by Fiz79, 26 September 2020 - 11:12 PM.

• trainsktg, Jaimo!, jrkirkham and 4 others like this

#2 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: Pampanga, PI

Posted 26 September 2020 - 11:47 PM

You're way ahead of me on this. Very nice job, actually, given the difficulties. As you work out the bugs, wonder if it can rival the pros? :)

• Fiz79 likes this

#3 Fiz79

Fiz79

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 September 2020 - 11:59 PM

Thanks, appreciate it!

Haha, I don't think I'll be rivaling anyone anytime soon. My telescope is modest in size and I'm snapping pics with my phone, but hey - it can only get better from here! I don't see myself getting really hardcore into astrophotography. I spent maybe an hour taking video and then processing the images after, in total. Pales in comparison to what others do when imaging.

There are some great videos on YouTube on how to use the processing apps. I learned how to use the software from Late Night Astronomy's channel. He keeps it pretty simple, with minimal steps. For example:

https://www.youtube....h?v=icCGcwqiOuc

• Asbytec and MrMartin like this

#4 MrMartin

MrMartin

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 28 September 2020 - 02:28 PM

These are some excellent images of Jupiter, Saturn and Mars. I appreciate you mentioning my YouTube video and am pleased it was able to get you started with the process! What we can do now with cellphones and free software is incredible and will do nothing but help get more and more people into astronomy and imaging.

Keep up the great work and clear skies!
Michael M.
Late Night Astronomy

• Fiz79 likes this

#5 Fiz79

Fiz79

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 September 2020 - 02:40 PM

Thanks Michael! I've gone through your videos several times during the process, so it's great to hear your feedback! I've been trying to get Venus the past couple of days but haven't been getting the greatest images, since it's so bright. I get a lot of "glow" around the planet. Going to try reducing the exposure even more next time. ISO was already lowered to 100. Going to try using my headphones to start the videos going forward so I don't miss out on those early frames from vibration, especially since I only get a good 30 seconds of video before the planet leaves the eyepiece view.

Want to try to remove some of the distortion as well, especially on Mars. Was reading a topic on that in the forums recently as well, on how to use Gimp to remove the distortions on the edges. Had a similar thing going on with Jupiter. You can pick it up in the image. Looks like rough concentric circles going around the outer edge of the planet.

#6 Fiz79

Fiz79

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 October 2020 - 07:54 AM

Updating this thread with my latest attempt at Mars, taken on October 5th. I think I need to figure out how to maximize the number of frames I get before the planet leaves the eyepiece. Perhaps I can try combining multiple videos together into one long video. All in all, looking forward to continue imaging the planet over the next several days!

Attached Thumbnails

• Mars_Oct_5_2020.png

• jrkirkham likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics