•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

USA Made Binos?

binoculars
  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#26 WALL.E

WALL.E

Mariner 2

• Loc: Grand Rapids Mi.

Posted 30 September 2020 - 09:33 AM

All USA components?

Gotta find them used.

Many of the military versions are well worn.

But you can still find some true beauties from civilian production.  Used of course.

002_opt (5).jpg

A real prize. Near perfect condition. A Gem to behold.

From your post, I gather that you are looking for a USA binocular for regular use. Correct I think?

If you are looking from a "collector" perspective, names like Bausch & Lomb, Wollensak, and US Naval Gun Factory are obtainable.

Some real treasures can be found.

But probably not for the purposes I suspect you want.

I have a US NGF galilean glass that is probably 120+ years old.

It's fully functional. Very good+ condition.  Heavy. Great build quality with swing out yellow filters.

And for functional use, it is outclassed by virtually everything of more modern design!

It is relegated to nothing more than a curious artifact with lots of history.

Some of the special WWII era military binoculars are reputed to be incredible $$$$!

SMark is nearly the final authority on that matter.

My friend, your search for total USA glasses for real use is very possible, but very limited.

And they will be used.

Perhaps in brilliant condition, but still long out of production.

Best of luck to you!

Eric

#27 Binojunky

Binojunky

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 30 September 2020 - 12:27 PM

I am looking to get back into this hobby and wanted to start with binoculars.   I am a diehard American and am not wanting to purchase products made overseas.  It seems this Astronomy hobby has almost all of it manufactured overseas.   Does anyone know of Binoculars that are produced in the USA good for Astronomy???  Please let me know as I am fairly new to this hobby and just cant find any USA made not just assembled...  MADE in the USA binos???

I believe some models of Meopta binoculars are assembled in the USA and possibly one high end Celestron?, however they are just assembled from a mixture of imported and possibly domestic parts. Being diehard is a fine quality but its getting to be a futile sentiment. Everything  you buy from a toaster to a high end car with a fancy American or German name is made from components that are world sourced, maybe its time for you to compromise? or face the fact that you may have to do without? Dave.

Edited by Binojunky, 30 September 2020 - 12:28 PM.

• ianatcn likes this

#28 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Gemini

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 30 September 2020 - 08:52 PM

And the Fujinon 7x50 models that were more recently USA assembled were lower line versions of the Nautilus rather than the Polaris version.  Just some DoD contract requirement that probably had good intentions at one point but failed to address origin of parts and probably went to lowest bidder so no justification to keep an American industry alive or profitable.

Dave

Edited by davidmcgo, 30 September 2020 - 08:54 PM.

• Binojunky likes this

#29 NDfarmer

NDfarmer

Messenger

• -----

Posted 01 October 2020 - 09:50 PM

Take a look at Maven binoculars for USA manufacturing...glass types may be imported from Japan or Germany:

https://mavenbuilt.c...ions/binoculars

Sorry, there are no binoculars made in the USA, and that has been true for decades.

There may be some binoculars such as Maven that do a final customization of  armor colors, etc.  But the binocular is not

made in the USA, and they do not claim such.  Maven optics are made in China or maybe Japan.

#30 otocycle

otocycle

Apollo

Posted 01 October 2020 - 10:42 PM

Sorry, there are no binoculars made in the USA, and that has been true for decades.

There may be some binoculars such as Maven that do a final customization of  armor colors, etc.  But the binocular is not

made in the USA, and they do not claim such.  Maven optics are made in China or maybe Japan.

Maven claims U.S. manufacture for S and B series with foreign components, just like many other "U.S. made" products:

We use premium Japanese components for S, B, and RS Series optics. The S Series and B Series are assembled in a military standard (MIL-SPEC) facility in San Diego, and are then shipped to our headquarters in Lander, Wyoming where we inspect and test for quality assurance. The RS Series is assembled in Japan, and the C Series are assembled in the Philippines.

https://mavenbuilt.com/pages/faq

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: binoculars

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics