•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

C11 gear backlash ...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Stevegeo

Stevegeo

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Otisco ny.

Posted 27 September 2020 - 07:06 AM

My C11 optimo  fork  mount  seems  to have what i think is excessive backlash in the mount .

Never really noticed it until last night while looking at Mars... I have never had this apart , and until last night never noticed it . The movement is very noticeable , as the fork will move 3/16 in on axis .. I dont do AP , only visual . It tracks rather well for a wedge mount with little or no adjustment ..  is there a way to take this out ?

Its pier mounted . 

Next question , how often should collimate  be done?  I usually do once a season (4x/ yr) , as its inside a domed observatory.  Just wondering what the general consensus  is on this. 

#2 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Gemini

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 27 September 2020 - 11:04 AM

Without knowing what "excessive backlash" means as far as what it looks like through the eyepiece I would like to remind you that there is back lash settings within the hand controller that allows you to pre-load the gears a number of turns to take up that backlash.

Here is a very old video I did where I show the anti-backlash settings in the hand controller of an AVX mount.  Your mount should have the same settings.

https://youtu.be/ORGleQBhkLw?t=281

Collimate when needed.  Point at a single star, defocus by turning knob clockwise quite a bit, then focus counter clock wise until just before it comes to focus. Are the concentric rings off center?  Then collimate. If not, keep on keeping on.

Edited by Whichwayisnorth, 27 September 2020 - 11:06 AM.

#3 Stevegeo

Stevegeo

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Otisco ny.

Posted 27 September 2020 - 08:28 PM

I should have been a bit more specific  about the backlash. 

With the wedge mount , in the RA axis , I noticed a bit of slop when the lock is engaged to position . 

It's very noticable .  Since I have never had this apart, except to change the 9v battery for the drive,  thought  someone 

out there could provide some insight what I might find digging into this .. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics