•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Svbony As A Company

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
68 replies to this topic

#1 LDW47

LDW47

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 27 September 2020 - 07:08 AM

After visiting the Svbony website it appears that they are a diversified company in the field of astronomy equipment, a wide array of astronomy cams and sporting / birding gear ie spotting scopes, rifle scopes, monoculars etc. Apparently they have at least one factory, with pictures, where they design and manufacture what they sell, not resell from another party as many company's do, even in North America ! Everything I have bought and used from them ie eps and filters have performed great with excellent overall quality and at great prices, what more can we ask for. After trying them out a number of times, instead of just talking, I can say that they are a great alternative to the bigger names with bigger prices unless you are a perfectionist, lol ! Another up and coming competitor ? Maybe ! Have a look for yourself.  PS: I am just putting this out there for those that don’t mind spending less $ but can still get great performance when they look up into those dark, nite skize enjoying this wonderful hobby !  PPS: I should be working for these guys, lol ?

Edited by LDW47, 27 September 2020 - 08:01 AM.

#2 Bataleon

Bataleon

Ranger 4

Posted 27 September 2020 - 07:14 AM

Now, if only they could come up with a brand name that made sense/was pronounceable lol

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

#3 LDW47

LDW47

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 27 September 2020 - 07:23 AM

Now, if only they could come up with a brand name that made sense/was pronounceable lol

The name is the least important as long as the products are good unless you have a name phobia, lol !

#4 Voyager 3

Voyager 3

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Near Bangalore, India

Posted 27 September 2020 - 08:13 AM

Seriously I dono whether I'm prounconcing it right or wrong . S-v- bony , am I correct?

#5 LDW47

LDW47

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 27 September 2020 - 08:23 AM

Seriously I dono whether I'm prounconcing it right or wrong . S-v- bony , am I correct?

I hate that word seriously, it usually means not serious, lol !  PS:  Thats why I never use it, lol !

Edited by LDW47, 27 September 2020 - 08:24 AM.

#6 Xyrus

Xyrus

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 27 September 2020 - 08:34 AM

I've been tenatively order some items from them (diagonals, illuminated reticle). So far I have no complaints.

#7 tony_spina

tony_spina

Gemini

• Loc: So. Cal.

Posted 27 September 2020 - 08:56 AM

I have ordered and recommended a bunch of stuff from them as well including eyepieces, zooms, filters, diagonals, adapters, vixen dovetail base, and even a pair of 8x32 ED binoculars for $99

If you are trying to reach a lower price point, yet still have good quality, they seem to be leaders in that space

Edited by tony_spina, 27 September 2020 - 08:57 AM.

#8 mayble

mayble

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 27 September 2020 - 10:28 AM

As a beginner i found their product to be better than the supplied optics with my scope. Definatly increased the enjoyment factor for not much money.

#9 Bataleon

Bataleon

Ranger 4

Posted 27 September 2020 - 10:46 AM

The name is the least important as long as the products are good unless you have a name phobia, lol !

On the contrary, a memorable name that rolls off the tongue well can be huge in marketing.

#10 LDW47

LDW47

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 27 September 2020 - 10:55 AM

On the contrary, a memorable name that rolls off the tongue well can be huge in marketing.

If I have to keep a name in my memory instead of the performance I’m in big trouble ! Call it anything you want just to satisfy your needs, its still the same product.  Its only huge to a perfectionist, I don’t think the average, great astronomer really cares just price vs quality vs performance ? What makes something like Celestron, for instance, any better in actual fact ?

#11 lphilpot

lphilpot

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Central Lousiana, USA

Posted 27 September 2020 - 12:05 PM

If I have to keep a name in my memory instead of the performance I’m in big trouble ! Call it anything you want just to satisfy your needs, its still the same product.  Its only huge to a perfectionist, I don’t think the average, great astronomer really cares just price vs quality vs performance ? What makes something like Celestron, for instance, any better in actual fact ?

In an absolute sense, I agree that the name is ultimately just a designator. But the market reality is that from a business perspective, business success can be highly impacted by a good (or bad) name. For example, that's been ongoing discussion / argument (to some degree) with the name of open source image editor GIMP (to the extent its one of the FAQs). Originally it stood for "GNU Image Manipulation Program". But in many contexts, "gimp" implies crippled. So is it a good name? I guess I depends on your perspective and emotional investment. Personally, I'd have a hard time trying to sell software whose name implies crippled.

But I guess I need to check out Svbony. My only experience is a cheap little eyepiece someone gave me, never used anything else from them (although I have another-branded 80mm f/7.5 Chinese achromat that's very similar to their 90mm f/5 achro).

#12 iridium1986

iridium1986

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 27 September 2020 - 12:05 PM

If I'm looking at some topics discussing the refractors, some types are pretty good for the money.

But I'm still not confinced if it's worth the gamble (from China, warranty, get a optical and mechanical good functioning one, sending it back, communications).

#13 LDW47

LDW47

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 27 September 2020 - 01:05 PM

If I'm looking at some topics discussing the refractors, some types are pretty good for the money.

But I'm still not confinced if it's worth the gamble (from China, warranty, get a optical and mechanical good functioning one, sending it back, communications).

Why do’t you try before you cry, give them a chance, many have and I sure haven’t seen / heard any real complaints over and above what the bigger brands get ! Someday you may convince yourself, hopefully.   PS:  What gamble we aren’t talking thousands of $ ?

Edited by LDW47, 27 September 2020 - 01:06 PM.

#14 LDW47

LDW47

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 27 September 2020 - 01:09 PM

In an absolute sense, I agree that the name is ultimately just a designator. But the market reality is that from a business perspective, business success can be highly impacted by a good (or bad) name. For example, that's been ongoing discussion / argument (to some degree) with the name of open source image editor GIMP (to the extent its one of the FAQs). Originally it stood for "GNU Image Manipulation Program". But in many contexts, "gimp" implies crippled. So is it a good name? I guess I depends on your perspective and emotional investment. Personally, I'd have a hard time trying to sell software whose name implies crippled.

But I guess I need to check out Svbony. My only experience is a cheap little eyepiece someone gave me, never used anything else from them (although I have another-branded 80mm f/7.5 Chinese achromat that's very similar to their 90mm f/5 achro).

Many of us are from the old school, I would think, we are maybe more laid back I don’t think a name means much, just price and performance ?

#15 LDW47

LDW47

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 27 September 2020 - 01:22 PM

I have learned over my soon to be 73 yrs. that people have to have something to talk about, complain about if you will, many times if it isn’t the product lines then they pick on the name, that hasn’t changed from my experience ! Svbony will evolve there is no doubt and so might the name and their prices and their standings in the astronomy world of products !

#16 lphilpot

lphilpot

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Central Lousiana, USA

Posted 27 September 2020 - 02:39 PM

Many of us are from the old school, I would think, we are maybe more laid back I don’t think a name means much, just price and performance ?

In a vertical market like astronomy that's definitely true, but the general consumer market is more fickle. But that's beside the point to this topic.

#17 Peter Besenbruch

Peter Besenbruch

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Oahu

Posted 27 September 2020 - 03:42 PM

What name?

#18 JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Heidelberg, Germany

Posted 27 September 2020 - 05:18 PM

What name?

VySnob?

#19 sojourneyer

sojourneyer

Apollo

• Loc: Cal Neva

Posted 27 September 2020 - 06:11 PM

I have purchased many SVBONY EPs and accessories. Some were good and some needed to be returned. One example was a 9mm red line EP that rattled internally and another was a poor quality diagonal. Their customer service is excellent.

I am certain (but could be wrong .. small chance at that) that they do not make their own optics. If  you look at their EPs and even scopes you can see that other vendors, etc have strikingly similar components and specs.  IMO they are assemblers.

They have also mislabeled some of their products and I have pointed the mistakes out to them.

For those who wonder what SVBONY stands for, they told me... This is the meaning of this acronym .... God's truth.

The meaning of SVBONY is:
S means support, we will provide the maximum technical support for each purchased customer,
V stands for sound, we will listen to the voice from the customer so as to better improve the product quality.
B means bring, we hope to bring high quality products to customers at cheaper prices.
O means obtain,We hope that every customer who buys from us can get a very good customer experience.
N means new,We pursue constant innovation, Looking forward to a newer self
Y means young,The company has just started, as a young brand, the staff are also relatively young, we look forward to this younger enthusiasm to fight for a better self
The above is the meaning of our name

Edited by sojourneyer, 27 September 2020 - 07:16 PM.

#20 LDW47

LDW47

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 27 September 2020 - 06:42 PM

I have purchased many SVBONY EPs and accessories. Some were good and some needed to be returned. One example was a 9mm red line EP that rattled internally and a poor quality diagonal. Their customer service is excellent.

I am certain (but could be wrong .. small chance at that) that they do not make their own optics. If  you look at their EPs and even scopes you can see that other vendors, etc have strikingly similar components and specs.

They have also mislabeled some of their products and I have pointed the mistakes out to them.

For those who wonder what SVBONY stands for, they told me... This is the meaning of this acronym .... God's truth.

S means support, we will provide the maximum technical support for each purchased customer,
V stands for sound, we will listen to the voice from the customer so as to better improve the product quality.
B means bring, we hope to bring high quality products to customers at cheaper prices.
O means obtain,We hope that every customer who buys from us can get a very good customer experience.
Y means young,The company has just started, as a young brand, the staff are also relatively young, we look forward to this younger enthusiasm to fight for a better self

If not eps amongst other items what would you think they make in their factory shown on their site, some of the pics sure show ep assembly, filter assembly I would say ?

#21 LDW47

LDW47

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 27 September 2020 - 06:44 PM

I have purchased many SVBONY EPs and accessories. Some were good and some needed to be returned. One example was a 9mm red line EP that rattled internally and a poor quality diagonal. Their customer service is excellent.

I am certain (but could be wrong .. small chance at that) that they do not make their own optics. If  you look at their EPs and even scopes you can see that other vendors, etc have strikingly similar components and specs.

Did you ever think they may make for other vendors, its their products, did you ever ?

#22 sojourneyer

sojourneyer

Apollo

Posted 27 September 2020 - 06:47 PM

If not eps amongst other items what would you think they make in their factory shown on their site, some of the pics sure show ep assembly, filter assembly I would say ?

is it a Synta production plant or another company. They might assemble but do not manufacture. For example their 80ED is similar to others except the glass is different.

#23 sojourneyer

sojourneyer

Apollo

Posted 27 September 2020 - 06:47 PM

Did you ever think they may make for other vendors, its their products, did you ever ?

They have not been around that long

#24 LDW47

LDW47

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 27 September 2020 - 06:52 PM

is it a Synta production plant or another company. They might assemble but do not manufacture. For example their 80ED is similar to others except the glass is different.

Its their site, its their factory, no one shows some one else's factory on their site, they just keep mum if that was the case ! Surely you are just kidding ? If you have conversed with them in the past get a hold of them again and ask very bluntly what that story holds, its the best way !

#25 LDW47

LDW47

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 27 September 2020 - 06:53 PM

They have not been around that long

I gathered they were 15-20 years old ! Maybe they were making for other brands before they got into full operations themselves ?

Edited by LDW47, 27 September 2020 - 06:54 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics