•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Time and sidereal time; are these incorrect?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 2britowls

2britowls

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: England, UK

Posted 27 September 2020 - 07:26 AM

I am not sure that we have set up our LX90-ACF properly. Having had it less than a couple of months, we are still having some difficulties in getting really good

star alignment; we always have to do quite a bit of up/down/left/right button pressing to get the star into the eyepiece. 

After reading a post here on CN, I noticed that a long press on the Mode button reveals a list of all the current telescope settings....didn't know it was there.

This afternoon I obtained the settings list. Nothing else was touched.

The date shows the day before (i.e today is the 27th September and it shows the 26th).

The latitude for our home-base is correct; 51 degrees 25N

The longitude is correct: 2 degrees 41W

The nearest city provided in the database was Cardiff, Wales (we're in England but Cardiff is the nearest to us in terms of distance).

The time shown was 20.05.39   ; this reading was collected at 12.15pm today.

The sidereal time shown was 19.19.17   (again, read at the same moment as above).

I don't use the Park facility because the telescope has to be brought indoors after each session.

The time clocks seem to be miles out. They don't represent when the telescope was last used, which was last night at around 10pm (gave up, too much cloud).

I keep feeling that I haven't done the initial set-ups correctly. There are more menus in this AudioStar than I realised.

#2 Piet Le Roux

Piet Le Roux

Ranger 4

• Loc: Bloemfontein, South Africa

Posted 27 September 2020 - 11:13 AM

Good day,

It appears that your clock is on default time which is 20H00. Your default date is the last date that was entered or obtained from the GPS. Does your LX90 have GPS? Has it been enabled in the "Utilities" menu? Did it get the Longitude and Latitude from the GPS or did you enter it? You could enter the time manually in the "setup" menu if there is a problem with the GPS module. 

PS you would only need to use the "Park" facility if you using a polar setup with PEG training and you don't want to lose the training.

If you get the "settings list" the GPS is not selected  or the module is faulty, you must then enter all data manually. 

Edited by Piet Le Roux, 27 September 2020 - 11:51 AM.

#3 2britowls

2britowls

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: England, UK

Posted 27 September 2020 - 11:51 AM

Many thanks Piet. Yes the scope has GPS. I was not aware of an entry for it in the utilities menu, I will have to take a look this evening. The Lat and Long must have been acquired by the GPS, I have no recollection of ever entering it myself. 

Understood re default time and date for the clock, etc. 

I try not to fiddle too much with the settings except where seemingly required; hoping for a better aligning session tonight (and sorting those menus out!smile.gif  ).

#4 Piet Le Roux

Piet Le Roux

Ranger 4

• Loc: Bloemfontein, South Africa

Posted 28 September 2020 - 02:09 AM

I had a problem with my controller cable plug on the mount not making proper contact and the controller not communicating with the GPS, it then assumes there is no GPS and asks for you to input the data. If you have a site setup with the nearest city provided in the database this would be its default. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics