•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Few quick questions

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Hax

Hax

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: PEI Canada

Posted 27 September 2020 - 07:39 AM

Hey all, I was just wondering about getting started in solar observation.
I’m wondering if I should get a quark go with me ES 127, of should I get a solar dedicated scope?
Also I was curious, if I did get a quark, is it as simple as throwing it on the scope and I’m set to observe?
What are the safety guidelines for solar observation so I don’t blind myself?
And lastly, in regards to single/double stacked scopes, what exactly does this mean? Is it an extra piece of gear you can remove to choose if you want single or double stacked?
Sorry for and ignorance I just want to educate myself before making and commitments, but I for sure do have an interest in solar, and my budget would probably be 3000 CAD or so for now but that’s a bit flexible. Thanks to any and all info or suggestions!

#2 bigdob24

bigdob24

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Central Illinois

Posted 27 September 2020 - 08:46 AM

Hey all, I was just wondering about getting started in solar observation.
I’m wondering if I should get a quark go with me ES 127, of should I get a solar dedicated scope?
Also I was curious, if I did get a quark, is it as simple as throwing it on the scope and I’m set to observe?
What are the safety guidelines for solar observation so I don’t blind myself?
And lastly, in regards to single/double stacked scopes, what exactly does this mean? Is it an extra piece of gear you can remove to choose if you want single or double stacked?
Sorry for and ignorance I just want to educate myself before making and commitments, but I for sure do have an interest in solar, and my budget would probably be 3000 CAD or so for now but that’s a bit flexible. Thanks to any and all info or suggestions!

Quark or a dedicated scope I guess depends on how deep your pockets are.

Im sure it will work in the 127, but may not show a full disk.

As far as using one there is a small amount of warm up time , mine was 6 min. You can plug it in as your setting up and it will be ready when your done, then if a change in settings is needed , a small warm up time again. 

As the name implies it’s quirky , you have to find the right eyepieces and eye placement is very important. I found cheap Plossls worked for me. 

If you have the proper equipment and it’s used correctly there’s not any worry for eye damage, when in doubt ask .

Double Stack is adding an extra filter to enhance the surface detail , it’s a bit pricey.

DS is removable , mine just screws on the end of the scope. It’s the only way I observe , I can’t think of any situation where SS would be better.

Im sure you will get more information here

Good luck in you search

Edited by bigdob24, 27 September 2020 - 08:48 AM.

• BYoesle likes this

#3 BYoesle

BYoesle

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Washington USA

Posted 27 September 2020 - 09:20 AM

welcome.gif   Here's my 2 cents worth on filter/telescope choices.

Here's how etalons and double staking work.

Commercial solar filters are quite safe. Be cautious about covering your finder or use a dedicated solar finder made for the purpose. Get a good book or two on solar observation and observing.

• PhotonJohn and lorenzo italy like this

#4 briansalomon1

briansalomon1

Vostok 1

• Loc: Oxnard CA

Posted 27 September 2020 - 09:32 PM

I had these same questions 6 months ago just before I bought my Quark which I use with a TeleVue NP101. If the telescope you're using Quark with is ~f7 and not more than 100mm or so (Daystar says 80mm) it's very straightforward, just put it in, add a 40 or 30mm eyepiece and observe.

For $1200 it's an inexpensive 1st piece of H-alpha gear.

About 4 months ago I added a Lunt 60mm etalon and 18mm blocking filter which I use in the same NP101 and after using this for some time found that it's capable of quite a lot more than Quark and works quite well even at 75X so I really don't use the Quark much anymore.

I really, really like being able to use the telescope any time of the day or night. I personally like having a single telescope that will do everything I want at night as well as during the day as I don't have a lot of storage area for extra telescopes.

The 60mm Lunt system I have cost about $3000 and after the NP101 I count it as my best investment in astronomy. You will almost certainly end up with the largest blocking filter. I think I'll be satisfied with 60mm single stack but if you doublestack at least 80mm is better.

If you buy used, try before you buy.

Edited by briansalomon1, 27 September 2020 - 09:33 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics