•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter 2020-09-27

dslr Maksutov planet astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Soyuz

• topic starter
  • Loc: Red Centre, Oz

Posted 27 September 2020 - 07:57 AM

I got a break in the clouds today. The jet stream was up, and the seeing prediction was 3/5, but the seeing limit was predicted to be 0.6 arcsec. So I set up.

My mount is cactused. It karked it a few nights ago…the RA motor seizes up when I point the GoTo at anything. And the DEC motor groans like a flat kazoo. Seems like a bad motor control board; both motors can't go past a slew rate of 7. Fortunately, my clutches and the mount's sidereal rate are still functional.

But…

The seeing was just meh afterall.

Rather than the usual derotation heroics, I'm just posting my 3-stack filmstrip at 50%. This makes for 3 cross-eye stereo pairs. There's the first pair of pairs with a light cross-eye, bringing the adjacent Jupiters together. And then there's the strong cross-eye, bringing the two on the opposite sides together for a much more pronounced effect.

001-003_post.jpg

2020-09-27 10:19, 10:22, 10:26 UTC

Skywatcher 180 Mak, Fujiyama 12.5mm ortho, Canon 600D/T3i

The NTrZ is still a mess…

Cheers,

BQ

Edited by BQ Octantis, 27 September 2020 - 04:14 PM.

• Magellanico, Kenny V., R Botero and 3 others like this

#2 HentySky

HentySky

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 27 September 2020 - 09:27 PM

Hope you sort your drive out with Mars upon us.  Lots of interesting things still happening on Jupiter, those outbreaks are causing havoc.  Thanks for posting

#3 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Soyuz

• topic starter
  • Loc: Red Centre, Oz

Posted 28 September 2020 - 02:19 AM

Hope you sort your drive out with Mars upon us.  Lots of interesting things still happening on Jupiter, those outbreaks are causing havoc.  Thanks for posting

Thanks Brett! And thanks Kenny for the like!

BQ

#4 Jkaiser3000

Jkaiser3000

Vostok 1

• Loc: Caracas

Posted 28 September 2020 - 12:11 PM

I always liked stereo pairs and that “strong cross-eyed” one really pops out nicely, though not for long or I risk going lazy-eyed lol.gif

#5 Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Carterton, New Zealand

Posted 28 September 2020 - 02:11 PM

Very good. The wide stereo pair worked well for me.
Cheers Paul

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dslr, Maksutov, planet, astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics