•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mars at low altitude, 150 fps, just because

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Stricnine

Stricnine

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: DFW Area, TX

Posted 27 September 2020 - 08:44 AM

I was about to head in, the seeing had been good earlier and had been deteriorating.  Earlier a neighbor had stopped by to ask about the setup and what I was looking at on the Moon.  We talked a while, at one point I pointed out Mars low on the eastern horizon.  Just as I was 'calling it' I decided to slew over to Mars on a whim, probably influenced by talking of it with the neighbor.  It wasn't quite as unstable and distorted as I expected, so I bumped the frame rate to 150 and recorded two 3 minute videos, the second I had to pause to correct the framing when a wind gust pushed the telescope and Mars was too close the edge of the ROI.  I ended up with approx 48000 frames, stacked 10% and ended up with this:

2020-09-27 Mars v2a v1

Which I'm happy with given that Mars was around 18 to 20 deg above the horizon at the time, and focusing was mostly guessing.

Here's a short animation of the first 75 frames (approximately a 1/2 second):

2020-09-27 Mars animation

David

Edited by Stricnine, 27 September 2020 - 09:10 AM.

• Sunspot, Magellanico, Kenny V. and 11 others like this

#2 jerobe

jerobe

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southeast Texas

Posted 27 September 2020 - 09:10 AM

Very nice. You got a good one there!

• Stricnine likes this

#3 John Rogers

John Rogers

Viking 1

Posted 27 September 2020 - 09:33 AM

Beautiful!  Thanks for including the animation.  Seeing quality is often subjective and difficult to measure and quantify.  Your animation adds some important perspective.

Are you using an Atmospheric Dispersion Corrector?  I don't see any evidence of fringing in your animation.

• Stricnine likes this

#4 Stricnine

Stricnine

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 September 2020 - 09:40 AM

Beautiful!  Thanks for including the animation.  Seeing quality is often subjective and difficult to measure and quantify.  Your animation adds some important perspective.

Are you using an Atmospheric Dispersion Corrector?  I don't see any evidence of fringing in your animation.

Yes, a ZWO ADC.  Like focusing, getting the ADC set to minimize the dispersion was difficult to know if it was visually right, or at least close enough, due to the undulating image.  The ADC was close to being maxed out.

Edited by Stricnine, 27 September 2020 - 09:43 AM.

• John Rogers likes this

#5 Finalfantasykid

Finalfantasykid

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 27 September 2020 - 04:00 PM

Looks fantastic.  I really like the colours and the contrast between the light/dark regions.

• Stricnine likes this

#6 KTAZ

KTAZ

Apollo

• Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 27 September 2020 - 04:07 PM

What magnification were you running at? Were you using your reducer plus a barlow?

#7 Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Carterton, New Zealand

Posted 27 September 2020 - 04:40 PM

Great shot David.
You have convinced me to give mars ago at these altitudes. Mars is coming into our evening sky now but it seems to be painfully slow - have followed it from about 4am for several months now.
Cheers Paul
  • Stricnine likes this

#8 Stricnine

Stricnine

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 September 2020 - 08:00 PM

What magnification were you running at? Were you using your reducer plus a barlow?

I just used a Tele Vue 2x Powermate to increase image size.  I don't normally use a reducer for any imaging now, DSO or Planetary/Lunar.

#9 sunnyday

sunnyday

Voyager 1

• Loc: the Canadian nebula .

Posted 27 September 2020 - 08:07 PM

very nice details in there , thanks .

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics