•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Copernicus

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Stricnine

Stricnine

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: DFW Area, TX

Posted 27 September 2020 - 08:54 AM

I had just finished capturing some images of the Moon with the EdgeHD 9.25" and Canon 6D2 (it fits the Moon in frame with little vertical room to spare).  The seeing was much, much better than the 'predicted' poor seeing.  I'd checked the 'stars' to see if it was going to be worth the effort to drag everything out and setup.

I think I got some of the 'gravel' from the crater in the imaging train, LOL.  Seeing the entire frame of the sensor illuminated brought out all the specs of dirt on the sensor and 'dust' donuts further up in the imaging train.

Copernicus 2020-09-27 v3 v1

David

• Magellanico, Achernar, astrovienna and 7 others like this

#2 Achernar

Achernar

Voyager 1

• Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA

Posted 27 September 2020 - 09:21 AM

This is a very nice image of Copernicus. And the "gravel" in the crater is not an artifact, it is really there. You can see it in this image I acquired.

Taras

Attached Thumbnails

• copernicus_03_06_2020_174MM_MONO_IR_685nm_wavelets.jpg

• astrovienna likes this

#3 Stricnine

Stricnine

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: DFW Area, TX

Posted 27 September 2020 - 09:27 AM

This is a very nice image of Copernicus. And the "gravel" in the crater is not an artifact, it is really there. You can see it in this image I acquired.

Taras

I was making a bit of a joke about the 'gravel' being the cause of the dirty sensor, not necessarily that I thought it was artifacts.  wink.gif  The dirt on the sensor isn't visible in the final image, fortunately.

#4 Achernar

Achernar

Voyager 1

• Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA

Posted 27 September 2020 - 10:12 AM

Stacking does tend to hide at least partially the dust bunnies.

Taras

• Stricnine likes this

#5 aeroman4907

aeroman4907

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Castle Rock, Colorado

Posted 27 September 2020 - 01:08 PM

I use compressed air to clean the surface of the sensor every imaging session (without getting the can so close that it will condense).  That has seemed enough to keep away any dust artifacts for the several years I have imaged.

• Stricnine likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics