•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ZWO 224MC + PC Tablet?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Alnitak2009

Alnitak2009

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: New York

Posted 27 September 2020 - 09:53 AM

Hi all,

I had a okay laptop some years ago but the hinges broke and the power plug is either loose or broke. So I have been contemplating a new laptop purchase and a good planetary webcam such as the ZWO 224MC. I would use the laptop to collect the video frames but I was wondering if the ZWO camera could be used with a PC style tablet to allow be to use the FireCapture software and collect the frames.

Memory might be an issue? Wouldn't want a bunch of dropped frames.

Any ideas or should I just spring for a good laptop with lots of memory and large solid state drive.

i really want to get back into imaging the planets especially with Mars approaching earth.

Thanks,

Don

#2 dhammy

dhammy

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Puerto Rico

Posted 27 September 2020 - 11:18 AM

Tablet will be slow on the processing end and also expensive due to the storage size you’ll need (1Tb recommended) as some nights I’ll have over 300Gb of data to crunch.

Laptop doesn’t have to be expensive to capture. I’m using an old i5 laptop that is literally falling apart, with 8Gb RAM, 1Tb mechanical drive, USB3 ports and I’ve no issues capturing above 300fps for Mars. It cost $500 new a good number of years ago.

3 ways: 

1. Cheap laptop to capture, then transfer to external harddrive as your main storage, then process using a more powerful PC that you have with a color accurate monitor. Laptop must have USB3 ports.

2. Good laptop that you can capture and process images from while at the telescope.

3. Use PC and run cables out to monitor, keyboard, mouse and camera at scope. A USB3 hub powers keyboard, mouse and camera. Max distance = 9ft USB cable from PC to hub, then another 9ft cable from hub to scope. Or try a more expensive usb 3 active extension cable (i’ve not tested this active extension method but the hub works well).

Edited by dhammy, 27 September 2020 - 11:20 AM.

#3 Alnitak2009

Alnitak2009

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: New York

Posted 27 September 2020 - 01:12 PM

Thanks for the responsive and good info.

regards,

Don

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics