•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

10Micron-Model Creator-BackyardEOS successful workflow?

dslr equipment imaging mount
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Genoafire

Genoafire

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 September 2020 - 11:07 AM

I have a 10Micron Mount that I purchased new a couple of months ago and I have been unsuccessfully trying to use ModelCreator with BackyardEOS and a Canon 60Da to automate a  model.  I am using the ASTAP files for the plate solving in ModelCreator.  ModelCreator is supposed to work with BYE and has it listed as a choice under equipment.  I have the BackyardEOS camera connection checked in the equipment section of ModelCreator. Third Party TCP is enabled in the BYE settings. Both BYE and ModelCreator are set to port 1499.  Upon hitting Run in ModelCreator the Mount slews to the first star. At this point the programs seemed to be stuck in a loop as the camera shutter is not activated and no picture is taken. The log begins displaying “Camera Action Fired:  ‘FirePropertyValues’ continuously. Each time I had to abort the process and try starting over, with no change in the results.
I gave up trying to use ModelCreator and simply used the three star alignment procedure in the mount.  Using backyard EOS I then successfully took 10 light frames and 10 dark frames of M45 with the canon EOS 60Da  at 30 seconds each with a two second pause between frames. That worked great.  So it does not appear to be a communication problem between BYE and the camera. 
Is anyone else using this combination successfully and willing to share what I need to do to get it to work?
Thanks so much

#2 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 27 September 2020 - 09:06 PM

I used to use BackyardNIKON without trouble but it has been quite a while now.  Have you tried talking to Guylain at O'Telescope about this?  Since he is the author of BYE and owns a 10Micron, he would probably be one of the best sources of information.  The other person to speak with would be the author of ModelCreator, Martin at www.astromi.ch.  

#3 Genoafire

Genoafire

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 September 2020 - 09:28 PM

Thanks for the quick reply Ed. Yes I corresponded with both the creator of BYE and ModelCreator.  
I think Martin and I found the problem. In corresponding with Martin regarding the problem I was having he suggested using the simulator part of ModelCreator sitting inside behind my desk during the normal waking hours to more easily analyze what was going on.  The problem deals with a Raw vs Jpeg communication problem between ModelCreator and BYE. Martin is doing some updates to ModelCreator to increase the compatibility with BYE that I am testing with more success in completing a model.  

Edited by Genoafire, 28 September 2020 - 08:26 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dslr, equipment, imaging, mount

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics