•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

It ain't what I thought it was...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Keith Rivich

Keith Rivich

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Cypress, Tx

Posted 27 September 2020 - 11:40 AM

About 10 years ago I bought an 8" f/9 reflector. Or so I thought. '70s vintage Parks Optical aluminum tube. Great little scope.

Yesterday I pulled the mirror cell to clean the primary. Usually I just clean the mirror while in the cell but this time I wanted to replace the felt liner that cradles the mirror's edges as it had become worn and flat and no longer keeps the mirror from sliding around. 

So I pulled the mirror out of the cell...

Lo and behold, hand written clear as day on the edge of the mirror, in big red letters, is "8" f/7  55 1/2" FL". 

Hah! All these years I thought it was an f/9 and used that ratio in all my calculations! 

I new there were extra holes toward the back end of the tube but I just thought someone in the past had moved the mirror up for some reason, imaging perhaps. 

Now I have to go back and edit my notes....smile.gif .

Edited by Keith Rivich, 27 September 2020 - 11:41 AM.

• Jon Isaacs, Dynan and Woj2007 like this

#2 Couder

Couder

Messenger

• Loc: Missouri Ozarks

Posted 27 September 2020 - 11:47 AM

funny the things you find out by accident.

#3 M11Mike

M11Mike

Apollo

• Loc: Ballston Lake, NY

Posted 27 September 2020 - 12:21 PM

The extra holes further back - a dead give a way.   

#4 Don H

Don H

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Near Tucson, AZ

Posted 27 September 2020 - 01:45 PM

So all your eyepieces now produce 30% less mag and give you 30% wider field. FOV sounds like an unexpected bonus, while you can easily still bump up the mag with a shorter fl eyepiece. Win win. Maybe you can trim a foot or more off your tube, too.

#5 Keith Rivich

Keith Rivich

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 27 September 2020 - 02:03 PM

So all your eyepieces now produce 30% less mag and give you 30% wider field. FOV sounds like an unexpected bonus, while you can easily still bump up the mag with a shorter fl eyepiece. Win win. Maybe you can trim a foot or more off your tube, too.

I originally bought the scope because of the f/9 mirror. It wasn't intended for wide field observing. It sits in my living room so I can take it out for solar system stuff. I probably wouldn't have bought it knowing it was f/7. I only paid $150 so I'm still happy. The scope performs really well. 

I like the idea of cutting the tube. Would fit in my truck a lot easier. Before I do that though I may try and find an f/9 mirror. Now I'm curious about the secondary...I need to measure it to see if it's the original mirror. I may not be getting a fully illuminated field...

#6 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 27 September 2020 - 04:33 PM

The extra holes further back - a dead give a way.   

Holes would have to be very way back if there was a F/9 mirror in it by around 16".

• stargazer193857 likes this

#7 Retsub

Retsub

Ranger 4

• Loc: Houston,Tx.

Posted 27 September 2020 - 05:21 PM

Years back many others thought the extra mirror cell holes were to correct mistakes in assembly !   BW 

• Keith Rivich likes this

#8 Keith Rivich

Keith Rivich

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 27 September 2020 - 06:28 PM

Holes would have to be very way back if there was a F/9 mirror in it by around 16".

Dang. You are correct. Maybe retsub is right and the extra holes are oops holes. Next time I have the scope out I'll take a look at the bottom of the tube and see if the thing was cut. The extra holes I talked about are only about 4" further down then the holes the cell now bolts to.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#9 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 28 September 2020 - 10:34 AM

Kevin:

Some years ago I bought a used 6 inch F/8 Discovery Dob.  It was by far the best performing 6 inch I'd ever owned. But it didn't get much use, it just sat in a corner.

Someone started a thread about tube diameter versus aperture so I decided to measure my scopes.

The long and short of it was that this 6 inch F/8 was actually an 8 inch F/6..

:foreheadslap:

Jon

• Bill Jensen and Keith Rivich like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics