•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

So what telescope do I buy?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#26 Supergiant

Supergiant

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 28 September 2020 - 07:00 PM

You stated your idea perfectly--in plain language too.

I understand what you are saying and are presenting components to this decision that are noteworthy.

I like the idea of switch it on and go--I do not believe a 12 inch scope is practical for my lifestyle either.

A few hours here and there--

I know the sky is the limit with optics--no pun intended.

Thank you--this decision is getting much clearer.

#27 spaceoddity

spaceoddity

Vanguard

• Loc: Cloudsylvania

Posted 28 September 2020 - 07:15 PM

https://www.amazon.c...e/dp/B003E8K53C

#28 spaceoddity

spaceoddity

Vanguard

Posted 28 September 2020 - 07:16 PM

https://optcorp.com/...V4aAqHlEALw_wcB

#29 spaceoddity

spaceoddity

Vanguard

Posted 28 September 2020 - 07:23 PM

You stated your idea perfectly--in plain language too.

I understand what you are saying and are presenting components to this decision that are noteworthy.

I like the idea of switch it on and go--I do not believe a 12 inch scope is practical for my lifestyle either.

A few hours here and there--

I know the sky is the limit with optics--no pun intended.

Thank you--this decision is getting much clearer.

There really isn't anything that's switch on and go. Every go-to scope will need a star alignment. Conventional dobsonians are point and shoot while the go-to dobs will need a star alignment but can still be used without the electronics. I have a nexstar 8se and aligning the thing and getting it to work properly has been nothing but a source of frustration, not to mention how ridiculously fast it dews up. Haven't used it in over a year. I like the idea of a more compact tube but SCT's aren't my cup of tea, expensive lesson.

#30 NightOwl07

NightOwl07

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Calgary

Posted 28 September 2020 - 07:34 PM

There really isn't anything that's switch on and go. Every go-to scope will need a star alignment. Conventional dobsonians are point and shoot while the go-to dobs will need a star alignment but can still be used without the electronics. I have a nexstar 8se and aligning the thing and getting it to work properly has been nothing but a source of frustration, not to mention how ridiculously fast it dews up. Haven't used it in over a year. I like the idea of a more compact tube but SCT's aren't my cup of tea, expensive lesson.

Yeah, I wouldn't rely too much on the Go-To functions. I've only ever gotten them to be "close enough" but I always found it easier to just get on target the rest of the way myself than trying to figure out how to get Go-to to be precise.

8" dob can be a very good choice. Depending on the type of vehicle though it can be a bit awkwardly shaped to transport. I had a smaller sedan back then and my 8" OTA would be on the back seat but I could never get the mount in the trunk without pulling it apart. Hatchbacks/SUVs wouldn't have this kind of a problem.

bjulihn mentioned the idea of EAA and I think it's an interesting alternative to going big (or a way to augment any size scope you currently have). It helps a small rig punch above its weight class in less than ideal conditions compared to strictly visual. It doesn't involve that much more gear either. It can be done with manually tracked dobs but a tracking Az/EQ will make it a bit easier.

Edit: oh I missed the part where you said you won't be using a camera. Nevermind the last bit I said.

Edited by NightOwl07, 28 September 2020 - 07:35 PM.

• Mitrovarr likes this

#31 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Hubble

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 29 September 2020 - 04:32 AM

There really isn't anything that's switch on and go. Every go-to scope will need a star alignment.

Actually, there are indeed fully automatic Go To systems that align themselves by figuring out where they're pointing by looking at the stars -- the most accurate method possible. Cheap they are not.

There's also the Celestron StarSense Push-To system, which skips alignment entirely, and just looks at the stars to tell you which way to push the scope.

#32 rhetfield

rhetfield

Viking 1

• Loc: Suburban Chicago, IL, USA

Posted 29 September 2020 - 09:10 AM

Actually, there are indeed fully automatic Go To systems that align themselves by figuring out where they're pointing by looking at the stars -- the most accurate method possible. Cheap they are not.

There's also the Celestron StarSense Push-To system, which skips alignment entirely, and just looks at the stars to tell you which way to push the scope.

Just out of curiosity, how well does Starsense (and plate solving in general) work under light pollution?

#33 NightOwl07

NightOwl07

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Calgary

Posted 29 September 2020 - 08:11 PM

Just out of curiosity, how well does Starsense (and plate solving in general) work under light pollution?

I don't have Starsense but plate solve to get precise polar alignment.

In Calgary (bortle 8) under clear weather and in areas without direct light interference plate solving is easy and quite reliable. If weather conditions are less than ideal my ASI290MM can still work but the ASI120MM I use as guide scope really suffers.

It has been very hit or miss (mostly miss) if I'm not careful with direct lighting from buildings or street lamps though. I can see the stars visually but SharpCap cannot reliably pick them up.

#34 Mitrovarr

Mitrovarr

Gemini

• Loc: Boise, Idaho

Posted 30 September 2020 - 12:58 AM

Yeah, I wouldn't rely too much on the Go-To functions. I've only ever gotten them to be "close enough" but I always found it easier to just get on target the rest of the way myself than trying to figure out how to get Go-to to be precise.

I feel like once you get into the midrange goto mounts they hit their targets pretty reliably. My AVX will get targets in the eyepiece almost all of the time, and sometimes it'll even do it at mid to high power.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics