•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Time Zone and SynScan

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Light Bender

Light Bender

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Middle Tennessee

Posted 27 September 2020 - 08:36 PM

The hand controller for my Skywatcher Flextube SynScan ask you to select a time zone. It give you a 00:00 format. I have googled this and found that Central time in the USA is 020. Is this the number it's looking for?

#2 KBHornblower

KBHornblower

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Falls Church, VA (Washington DC suburb)

Posted 27 September 2020 - 08:41 PM

The hand controller for my Skywatcher Flextube SynScan ask you to select a time zone. It give you a 00:00 format. I have googled this and found that Central time in the USA is 020. Is this the number it's looking for?

I don't have the foggiest idea what that 020 is about.  Could you link to the source?

I have seen USA Central described as GMT -6h, meaning that clocks in places such as Chicago read 6 hours earlier than Greenwich time.

#3 Cooperbrad

Cooperbrad

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted 27 September 2020 - 09:01 PM

I am in California and enter -8 for this on my SynScan...and I am two hours away from you so you should enter -6. It will then ask if it is daylight savings time and make an adjustment. Then it shows you local time in 12 hour format and you will know you entered correctly.

• Light Bender likes this

#4 Light Bender

Light Bender

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 September 2020 - 07:42 AM

http://unattended.so...t/timezones.php

The link above is where I found it. However, your posts has caused me to look deeper and found that Central Time is -5. Thanks for the help.

Edited by Light Bender, 28 September 2020 - 07:42 AM.

#5 kathyastro

kathyastro

Vanguard

• Loc: Nova Scotia

Posted 28 September 2020 - 07:46 AM

You enter the time zone as if it were standard time, not DST.  Central Standard Time is UTC - 6, not -5.  You adjust for DST by setting Daylight Saving Time to Yes, not by adjusting the time zone.

Edited by kathyastro, 28 September 2020 - 07:46 AM.

• Starman27, Light Bender and jiblet65 like this

#6 Light Bender

Light Bender

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 September 2020 - 01:06 PM

Thanks Kathy. I got -5 from a website. I went back and doubled checked and it says "Time zones currently used". -5 was listed as DST and I didn't catch that. I would have been and hour off. I have already adjusted the daylight savings time in the hand controller just as you said.

Thanks for saving me from some grief. 

#7 KBHornblower

KBHornblower

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 28 September 2020 - 02:22 PM

http://unattended.so...t/timezones.php

The link above is where I found it. However, your posts has caused me to look deeper and found that Central Time is -5. Thanks for the help.

My guess is that the 020 and the rest of that column are some sort of computer coding mumbo jumbo that has no particular astronomical meaning.

#8 Light Bender

Light Bender

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 September 2020 - 02:23 PM

Hey kathyastro (or anybody else with the answer)

With this controller, when DST ends will I have to go into the menu and select "NO" or will it automatically make the adjustment and again in the spring?

Edited by Light Bender, 28 September 2020 - 02:24 PM.

#9 kathyastro

kathyastro

Vanguard

Posted 28 September 2020 - 02:51 PM

Hey kathyastro (or anybody else with the answer)

With this controller, when DST ends will I have to go into the menu and select "NO" or will it automatically make the adjustment and again in the spring?

The hand controller has no knowledge of time when the mount is off.  Just as you have to enter the time every time you power it up, you also have to set DST on or off manually.  It's probably better that way, since governments change the DST rules from time to time, and you wouldn't want to have to update the firmware every time they do.

#10 Light Bender

Light Bender

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 September 2020 - 03:08 PM

Thank you. I have only initialized it once (last night). I didn't even know that you would have to enter the time each use. I assumed it would hold the home information along with the time.

I have a lot to learn about this system. I'm not new to scopes, but this is the first GoTo scope I have owned.

Thanks for the help.

#11 Light Bender

Light Bender

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 September 2020 - 03:46 PM

The format that comes up on the controller is 

-00:00

Do I use the 6 as the last digit? -00:06

Edited by Light Bender, 28 September 2020 - 04:07 PM.

#12 spereira

spereira

Soyuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 28 September 2020 - 03:59 PM

The Sky Watcher site has User Manuals available here.

There are a couple of SynScan Hand Controller User Manuals there.  Take a look - they have pretty detailed instructions for how to enter the information that you are asking about.

smp

#13 Light Bender

Light Bender

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 September 2020 - 04:08 PM

Thanks for that spereira.

The version 5 manual is the same one I have a hard copy of. It doesn't specifically tell you where to enter the digit if it's a single digit.

I am in -6 would I enter it as -00:06?

I would assume that this would be the right way. However assumptions have proven me wrong in the past.

Edited by Light Bender, 28 September 2020 - 04:31 PM.

#14 Light Bender

Light Bender

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 September 2020 - 04:48 PM

Update on question.

Kevin from Skywatcher just returned my call about another question. I asked him about this while I had him on the phone.

He said it would be -06:00. There I go assuming wrong again. When will I learn?

BTW. So far, their customer support has been wonderful.

#15 kathyastro

kathyastro

Vanguard

Posted 28 September 2020 - 05:37 PM

Thanks for that spereira.

The version 5 manual is the same one I have a hard copy of. It doesn't specifically tell you where to enter the digit if it's a single digit.

I am in -6 would I enter it as -00:06?

I would assume that this would be the right way. However assumptions have proven me wrong in the past.

00:06 would be 6 minutes.  You want six hours.  06:00.

• Light Bender and spereira like this

#16 Light Bender

Light Bender

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 September 2020 - 06:38 PM

Thank you Kathy. You're a big help.

#17 Light Bender

Light Bender

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 September 2020 - 07:22 PM

I am in California and enter -8 for this on my SynScan...and I am two hours away from you so you should enter -6. It will then ask if it is daylight savings time and make an adjustment. Then it shows you local time in 12 hour format and you will know you entered correctly.

Thanks for the help.

#18 KBHornblower

KBHornblower

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 28 September 2020 - 07:52 PM

I think they gave that time entry in hours:minutes because there are a few places such as Newfoundland, Iran, Afghanistan, India, etc. where the local standard time differs from GMT by a number of hours and 30 minutes instead of just whole hours.

https://www.timetemp...-zone-map.shtml

#19 kathyastro

kathyastro

Vanguard

Posted 28 September 2020 - 08:12 PM

I think they gave that time entry in hours:minutes because there are a few places such as Newfoundland, Iran, Afghanistan, India, etc. where the local standard time differs from GMT by a number of hours and 30 minutes instead of just whole hours.

https://www.timetemp...-zone-map.shtml

And Nepal is +5:45.

#20 Light Bender

Light Bender

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 September 2020 - 09:00 PM

And Nepal is +5:45.

Just a conversation. But, Would you be more precise if you are in the middle of a time zone to use the minutes? For instance, I could use -6:15. I am closer to the Eastern edge than the western edge.

Edited by Light Bender, 28 September 2020 - 09:00 PM.

#21 weis14

weis14

Vostok 1

• Loc: Midland, MI

Posted 28 September 2020 - 09:14 PM

Just a conversation. But, Would you be more precise if you are in the middle of a time zone to use the minutes? For instance, I could use -6:15. I am closer to the Eastern edge than the western edge.

Your location adjusts for this parameter, so switching the time like this will actually make the mount less accurate.

#22 kathyastro

kathyastro

Vanguard

Posted 29 September 2020 - 05:02 AM

Absolutely not!  The handset fine-tunes the time using your longitude.  It needs to know the standard time of your timezone, not the local solar time.

#23 Light Bender

Light Bender

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 September 2020 - 05:44 AM

It seems that this controller is a lot smarter than I am.

#24 weis14

weis14

Vostok 1

• Loc: Midland, MI

Posted 29 September 2020 - 12:24 PM

If it makes you feel better, DST always confuses me. In fact, despite 20+ years of owning various computerized mounts, I still get so confused that I have gotten in the habit of setting all of my mounts to GMT and using the local GMT time.

#25 BJ4232

BJ4232

Sputnik

• Loc: New Orleans, LA

Posted 29 September 2020 - 03:04 PM

Just  to add a little bit about the SynScan controller- It does remember some things, and others have to be reset each time it is powered up. 

Location will stay - you can also program different locations as Favorites if you go from backyard to favorite Dark Sky Site. No need to look up coordinates each time. 

Time, Date, and Savings Time Y/N are reset each time- Some hold last used date, but i have one that continually resets to a year of 2014- Go Figure!

As you use it, you will soon learn what to enter and what is saved. But spend some time with it connected to the mount, a manual, and and indoors on a cloudy night. Run through ALL the options so you know what they are, and understand when to use them.

Might save some time and frustration when you are out at a dark site with the best viewing conditions in 5 years, and you waste half your time looking for the option to load your Hard-to-Find Favorites list, instead of looking up!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics