•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Svbony SV48 Refractor?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 sportsmed

sportsmed

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Hot Springs, AR

Posted 28 September 2020 - 12:46 AM

I was looking around and came across this 90mm f5.5 scope. Has anyone used it, just was wondering what people thought of it for the price ($289) Would it be better to just buy a cheap Orion 80mm etc. I was just thinking of a cheaper little refractor in the 80-90mm range for quick grab-n-go, terrestrial, and eventually maybe used as a guide scope.

#2 stevew

stevew

Now I've done it

• Loc: British Columbia Canada

Posted 28 September 2020 - 03:24 AM

Spend an extra $100 and get the AT80ED. It will be worth it... https://www.astronom...ractor-ota.html

• Bomber Bob and The Luckster like this

#3 erin

erin

Viking 1

• Loc: MA

Posted 28 September 2020 - 06:52 AM

I won’t argue with what Steve suggests as those AT scopes are excellent and are a great value. I can tell you that having one of these SVbony scopes, it’s a lot of fun to use! The fit and finish are quality, the optics are very very sharp. The two speed focuser is really smooth too. Yeah, there is CA, but for a wide field sweeper and daytime scope, it’s great! 

The Orion 80mm they make new has a lot of plastic parts (focuser, dewshield) so it is very lightweight, but if you want to use anything more than a small 1.25” eyepiece, it won’t work. The GSO Crayfords  don’t fit these either. The older ones have a nicer build as well as the Meade Adventure scopes. Unless you pick up a used one with the upgraded focuser, that’ll cost another 100+. So, if you choose to go to 80mm, you may as well go with an AT.

I like the extra 10mm, especially in my Borrle 8 skies, but that is me.

Good luck waytogo.gif

• sportsmed and Echolight like this

#4 LDW47

LDW47

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 28 September 2020 - 08:46 AM

Why not give it a try and save $100, in the past there have been some great comments on their scopes, you could be on the forefront when it comes to these scopes. If I didn’t have about 9 refractors of various sizes I would buy one in an instant ! If it is like their other products it will be a good performer for gng at least, it has more features than an ST80.

• sportsmed and Echolight like this

#5 sportsmed

sportsmed

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 28 September 2020 - 11:33 AM

Yea I plan to buy a AT102ED but they are out of stock right now so I thought I might just go with a 80-90mm in the mean time. Also I will have to upgrade to a better mount when I buy the 102ed. Right now I have my SLT mount so I would think it could handle a 80mm not sure on the Svbony 90mm.

• stevew and Bomber Bob like this

#6 LDW47

LDW47

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 28 September 2020 - 11:45 AM

Yea I plan to buy a AT102ED but they are out of stock right now so I thought I might just go with a 80-90mm in the mean time. Also I will have to upgrade to a better mount when I buy the 102ed. Right now I have my SLT mount so I would think it could handle a 80mm not sure on the Svbony 90mm.

Look at the Porta II, I had 3 AZ4’s, a Twilite I, an EQ but I forgot the brand and various other liter AZ mounts, they are all part of history and now my 3rd Porta II arrives tomorrow.

• sportsmed and Bomber Bob like this

#7 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 28 September 2020 - 12:00 PM

STAY  AWAY  FROM  THE  SVBONY:

Read this post:   https://www.cloudyni.../#entry10422067

Right now I have my SLT mount so I would think it could handle a 80mm not sure on the Svbony 90mm.

Your 127 SLT mount should be able to carry an AT102ED -- bare OTA + rings & 200mm Vixen dovetail -- for visual use.  AT80ED shouldn't be a problem for it, even with a finder & bracket.

Don't want to undercut our CN Sponsor, but have you looked at the TS ED102 F7:   https://www.teleskop...-P-focuser.html    Pretty much the same scope as the AT102ED.

My AT102ED rides on either an old Orion VersaGo 2 or a vintage 1980s Mizar Super Polaris:

AT102ED S46 (LABELED AR-1 & FC-50).jpg

The Mizar is in about the same category as a good CG-5, Vixen SP/GP, etc.  I haven't been disappointed with anything that I've bought from TS-Optics -- and they ship FAST.

Edited by Bomber Bob, 28 September 2020 - 12:18 PM.

• sportsmed likes this

#8 sportsmed

sportsmed

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 28 September 2020 - 12:19 PM

Hey erin, I seen on the link that Bomber Bob sent that the guy that bought the SV48 said it has a plastic lens on the front like cheap refractors and does not balance well with the little dovetail thats on it. Have you found that this is the case? I would like to hear more from your experience with the scope.

#9 erin

erin

Viking 1

Posted 28 September 2020 - 12:27 PM

Sure. I can say for sure the the lenses are not plastic. This person clearly had a bad experience, but here is a link to a long thread with a lot of different more balanced experiences.

https://www.cloudyni...ctor-excellent/

The dovetail is not placed well unless you are putting a lot on the focuser end, so some tube rings would fix that. I use the Orion 100mm rings with a bit of extra felt inside.

• sportsmed, Bomber Bob and BFaucett like this

#10 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 28 September 2020 - 12:37 PM

Sure. I can say for sure the the lenses are not plastic. This person clearly had a bad experience, but here is a link to a long thread with a lot of different more balanced experiences.

https://www.cloudyni...ctor-excellent/

The dovetail is not placed well unless you are putting a lot on the focuser end, so some tube rings would fix that. I use the Orion 100mm rings with a bit of extra felt inside.

Thanks!  Now, I remember that thread...  Yeah, I don't like those short dovetails bolted to the scope -- rings or a cradle, because I swap my scopes between mounts all the time, and if the focuser doesn't rotate, it can end up in an awkward orientation.

The Aquila 90mm f5.6 in that thread... has a nice small R/A Finder, too.  

Looks like a decent low-power wide-field achro RFT...

• erin likes this

#11 sportsmed

sportsmed

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 28 September 2020 - 01:49 PM

Hey erin do you know how much the scope weighs? I cant find the weight anywhere.

#12 erin

erin

Viking 1

Posted 28 September 2020 - 04:19 PM

About 5 pounds without any large accessories.

• sportsmed likes this

#13 sportsmed

sportsmed

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 28 September 2020 - 05:22 PM

Sweet, my SLT mount should be able to handle it then after I put diagonal, finder, and eyepiece on it. I do have a Celestron heavy duty mount that can handle 10lbs if the SLT doesnt work out though.

#14 erin

erin

Viking 1

Posted 28 September 2020 - 05:27 PM

Mine works well with standard 1.25” gear on my OB 5000 fluid head and Orion Tritech ii legs. I bet it’ll be okay waytogo.gif

• Bomber Bob and BFaucett like this

#15 RobertMaples

RobertMaples

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

Posted 29 September 2020 - 12:13 PM

I was looking around and came across this 90mm f5.5 scope. Has anyone used it, just was wondering what people thought of it for the price ($289) Would it be better to just buy a cheap Orion 80mm etc. I was just thinking of a cheaper little refractor in the 80-90mm range for quick grab-n-go, terrestrial, and eventually maybe used as a guide scope.

If you can live with a 1.25" focuser, the Explore Scientific FL-AR90500AZ is a pretty nice option (https://explorescien...escope-az-mount), although I would not recommend using the mount it comes with.  The focuser is all plastic, but it works well and makes for a lighter package.  You can change to a 2" focuser, but's not easy (odd tube size) and by the time you add a focuser and the aggravation of adding it you would probably be better of getting one that comes with a 2" focuser.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics