•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Skytee 2 tripod with eq3 goto head and SW120ED

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Nicolondon

Nicolondon

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: London UK

Posted 28 September 2020 - 06:02 AM

Hi all i wonder if you could help me with this query. 

I have received a skytee 2 tripod and head for my SW120ED, it has a stripped ez gear that the seller is kindly arranging to send me as spare. 

I do like the skytee 2 and i believe this issue was poor fitting at manufacturers where they fitted the slow motion worm gear without aligning the teeth with the az gear first.  I dont see these teeth getting damaged any time soon. 

Now, can i use the skytee 2 tripod with a EQ3 motorised goto head?

I believe the eq3 comes with a tripod that is flimsier than the skytee. So skytee base should provide more stability. 

My intende use is visual mainly but i will consider buying a asi224mc to do some EAA. I don't see myself doing 30min tracking exposures, most likely 30seconds. 

This all is to avoid having to buy a eq5 pro, which first of all not in stock anywhere and secondly would mean another tripod to store somewhere in the house. 

I guess this combination im proposing gives me the possibility of keeping this setup sort of moveable for some countriside trips, not sure i would do it with eq5 pro as it is heavier. 

I know it is a compromise, but isn't life!

Ideal scenario was return the skytee 2 and get the full eq5 pro. This means i dont get to use my brand new scope for 3 months. 

Also, compromises comes with positivities too, i guess having a manual head that i swap on the tripod and use when im doing a quickie, and not fancing alignment/wires etc is not bad either.

If my wife sees 2 huge tripods in the house she will go nuts.  Not sure how i got away with skytee 2 already..

Cheers all

#2 Nicolondon

Nicolondon

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: London UK

Posted 28 September 2020 - 03:01 PM

Anyone there? Am i the only one with overcast sky and stuck at pc? Lol

#3 Xeroid

Xeroid

Surveyor 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 28 September 2020 - 08:57 PM

Store the additional tripods under the bed."out of sight, out of mind"..just make sure you are the guy that vacuums the room...lol.gif

• Hesiod likes this

#4 areyoukiddingme

areyoukiddingme

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 September 2020 - 10:47 PM

These mix-and-match kinds of questions are tough to answer.

I have the skytee 2, and I have it on a cg-5 tripod.

I'm not familiar with the eq3, but is it this?

http://www.skywatche...luminum-tripod/

If so, this looks very similar, and it is on a cg-5 tripod:

https://www.highpoin...ial-mount-91509

So my guess is that they will be cross-compatible. If not, the difference will most likely just be in the bolt that connects the mount to the tripod, and you may be able to find a different bolt at a hardware store.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics