•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Supernova 2020ssf imaged from Bortle 8 Skies

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 garyhawkins

garyhawkins

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego

Posted 28 September 2020 - 09:54 AM

Even though sky conditions were less than ideal last night in San Diego, I was able to view the 2020ssf 13.6mag supernova discovered 9/6/20 in 12th magnitude galaxy NGC7722 - https://youtu.be/8zmeUPo2xas

Highlights of the HD video: M15 (15:40sec), M52 (31:40) running into Caldwell 9, NGC281 (58:20), Supernova in NGC7722 (1:08:00), C19, Cocoon Nebula at 1:21:00, and finally, a nice B&W rendition on M33 (the Pinwheel Galaxy) starting at 1:36:30.

Other items discussed target acquisition using plate solving only (no more mount alignment!), and an alternative way of the using the SharpCap histograms.

CS Gary

Edited by garyhawkins, 28 September 2020 - 09:54 AM.

• Starman27, Tony Bonanno, Procyon and 5 others like this

#2 Procyon

Procyon

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Eastern Canada

Posted 28 September 2020 - 10:18 AM

Even though sky conditions were less than ideal last night in San Diego, I was able to view the 2020ssf 13.6mag supernova discovered 9/6/20 in 12th magnitude galaxy NGC7722 - https://youtu.be/8zmeUPo2xas

Highlights of the HD video: M15 (15:40sec), M52 (31:40) running into Caldwell 9, NGC281 (58:20), Supernova in NGC7722 (1:08:00), C19, Cocoon Nebula at 1:21:00, and finally, a nice B&W rendition on M33 (the Pinwheel Galaxy) starting at 1:36:30.

Other items discussed target acquisition using plate solving only (no more mount alignment!), and an alternative way of the using the SharpCap histograms.

CS Gary

Such a cool video, great stuff! I like the way you explained the whole setup. Subbed.

Edited by Procyon, 28 September 2020 - 11:05 AM.

• garyhawkins likes this

#3 GazingOli

GazingOli

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Stuttgart GERMANY

Posted 28 September 2020 - 10:22 AM

Hello Gary,

unfortunately I could not attend your session because it was 6 am in Europe, I had to work and was also out last night myself with the scope. But thank you for the info about the SN. I will try to visualize it as soon as the weather lets me.

CS.Oli

• garyhawkins likes this

#4 garyhawkins

garyhawkins

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 28 September 2020 - 10:54 AM

Try for as long as focal length as possible on 2020ssf - 1300mm barely did the job.

Hello Gary,

unfortunately I could not attend your session because it was 6 am in Europe, I had to work and was also out last night myself with the scope. But thank you for the info about the SN. I will try to visualize it as soon as the weather lets me.

CS.Oli

#5 GazingOli

GazingOli

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Stuttgart GERMANY

Posted 28 September 2020 - 12:05 PM

I can use my C8 at f/10... just not sure whether I will get enough stars in the FOV with the ASI224. We will see. Tonight is will be cloudy in the Stuttgart area.

CS.Oli

#6 Cey42

Cey42

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Kirkland, WA

Posted 28 September 2020 - 08:30 PM

As always a great video. I learned more little tricks.

I was out last night with my first night of plate solving. WOW! What a game-changer. It makes acquisition so easy. I am using ASTAP and it was solving under 2 seconds most times.

I will try tonight to see the supernova and will be doing my first live stream to my family thanks to you.

• garyhawkins likes this

#7 descott12

descott12

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 28 September 2020 - 09:52 PM

Nice video. I will certainly look for the SN next clear night. Thanks for the great post.

• garyhawkins likes this

#8 Owk

Owk

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 29 September 2020 - 08:37 AM

Hope this is not a silly question, but how do you plate solve without first aligning?

I always have to do at least a crude 1 star alignment, for the telescope control software to be oriented. Otherwise no goto occurs nor correction after plate solving....am I missing something fundamental.

I always hear  people say, no more alignment just plate solving. That doesn’t work for me. If the mount is accurately polar aligned, but have not done any sort of alignment, the software will not initiate.a goto or plate solve.

hemi

#9 descott12

descott12

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 29 September 2020 - 09:15 AM

Hope this is not a silly question, but how do you plate solve without first aligning?

I always have to do at least a crude 1 star alignment, for the telescope control software to be oriented. Otherwise no goto occurs nor correction after plate solving....am I missing something fundamental.

I always hear  people say, no more alignment just plate solving. That doesn’t work for me. If the mount is accurately polar aligned, but have not done any sort of alignment, the software will not initiate.a goto or plate solve.

hemi

It turns out that if you have an Alt-az mount (Celestron for sure but maybe all brands) then you have to do at least a single-star alignment first. In the case of Celestron, you can't even turn tracking on until it is aligned.

With an EQ mount, this is not the case. You can just turn it on, start tracking and plate solve. Quite nice really.

#10 Cey42

Cey42

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Kirkland, WA

Posted 29 September 2020 - 02:43 PM

Hemi, being new to EAA (2 monts), I had the same question about needing to do an alignment. With my Celestron 6 ASGT, EQ mount, the Hand Controller forces one to do an alignment. Fortunately, there is the option of only doing a one star alignment.

On my first night, I did it quickly and sloppily to make the hand controller happy. Most of the targets did not end up in my FOV that night but plate solving quickly got them centered.

On my second night, I did a slow proper one star alignment and got it all centered. Most of the targets that night did end up in the FOV but when they did not plate solving got them centered.

If you are using SharpCap it is quite easy to set up. Just install the plate solving package, no need to do any setup within it. Point SharpCap to it and it handles the rest. I highly recommend using ASTAP. The first plate solve takes a minute or two. But after that, they mostly happen in a couple of seconds.

#11 goldtr8

goldtr8

Ranger 4

Posted 29 September 2020 - 04:38 PM

I need to get my channel up and running and share also.

To hide the histogram click on the pin not the x which stops the live stack.   This will shrink that window on the bottom.

Just got answered during my replay of the broadcast :-)

Edited by goldtr8, 29 September 2020 - 04:48 PM.

• garyhawkins likes this

#12 garyhawkins

garyhawkins

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 29 September 2020 - 06:19 PM

Thanks Don, that's a good nugget of information.  CS Gary

I need to get my channel up and running and share also.

To hide the histogram click on the pin not the x which stops the live stack.   This will shrink that window on the bottom.

Just got answered during my replay of the broadcast :-)

#13 raylinds

raylinds

Explorer 1

• Loc: Candlewood Lake, CT

Posted 11 October 2020 - 04:08 PM

Gary,

I found the video fascinating and educational.  I learned a lot about using SharpCap. I suspected plate solving should be able to be used in lieu of mount alignment with an EQ mount, but this taught me how.

Thanks you so much.

• garyhawkins likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics