•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Foam pad in mirror box

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lalojamesliz

lalojamesliz

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Bakersfield, California

Posted 28 September 2020 - 06:11 PM

Hey everyone,  my explore scientific truss dobsonian has this foam pad in the mirror box but the few times I closed the box it left a mess on my primary from the foam disintegrating.

I tried to vacuum whatever loose particles it had but that didn't work and still made a mess on the primary.  

Can I just remove it or does it help support the trusses or something important? 

I just want to ask here before I removed the foam and it ends up keeping me from using my telescope if it was serving a purpose. 

Right now I have the mirror out because I left my telescope outside and my two youngest kids were playing with the water hose.......they wet it and I had to rinse it again.   

I'm looking for something to protect the mirror from dust and falling objects but I guess that's a different topic.  

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200928_152741_resize_50.jpg

#2 Couder

Couder

Messenger

• Loc: Missouri Ozarks

Posted 28 September 2020 - 06:32 PM

If it is deteriorating, it is not supporting anything. My guess is it is left over packing material. I am not an expert, but I have seen a lot of dobs, and none had foam in them.

• lalojamesliz likes this

#3 lalojamesliz

lalojamesliz

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Bakersfield, California

Posted 28 September 2020 - 08:00 PM

If it is deteriorating, it is not supporting anything. My guess is it is left over packing material. I am not an expert, but I have seen a lot of dobs, and none had foam in them.

Thanks, I'm taking it out  :)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics