•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

DSLR Full spectrum modification & LPS D2 clip in

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 GR-Amateur

GR-Amateur

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 September 2020 - 07:01 PM

Hi there,
I’m considering to buy and modify a Nikon D5300 myself by taking out every filter in way of the sensor (full spectrum mod..right?) and use it for astrophotography with a newton scope (I’m planning to purchase a refractor in the future.. not near future though). Reason why i’m planning to follow this route is because a) I do not have any alternatives being in Greece where astro-modifications are not supported in the local service market especially for Nikon. b) I already have a Hutech lps d2 clip in filter (which I’m using with my Nikon d5500) so I thought to exploit the IR filtering blocking capabilities.

Question: should I prefer to struggle and find an IR glass to install in front of the sensor? Or maybe I even have to find a professional service store to carry out the so called Hα modification instead of full spectrum? What about star bloating? Comparison of overall performance/experience of full vs Hα mod?

I do not care about auto focusing while this camera is destined for astrophotography only. Or should I?

Clip in filter (Hutech Idas N2) will permanently be in place in view to protect also the sensor from dust.

I’ll deeply appreciate your thoughts comment and experience. Thanks.

#2 mmalik

mmalik

DSLR camera modifications

• Vendors
  • Loc: USA

Posted 28 September 2020 - 10:05 PM

Go with full-spectrum and D2; you do NOT need any additional UV/IR block with D2. Read more here.... Regards

Note: D2 info here...

• AgilityGuy likes this

#3 GR-Amateur

GR-Amateur

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 September 2020 - 03:46 PM

Too many thanks for your kind and prompt support! Lots of good reading!

So with a nikon d5300, with a permanent (let's say) broadband lps clip in filter, at bortle 4-5, when I remove LPF-2 (during I destroy the camera) should I keep or remove LPF-1?

#4 mmalik

mmalik

DSLR camera modifications

• Vendors
  • Loc: USA

Posted 29 September 2020 - 05:58 PM

D5300 has bonded LPFs. Your ONLY option is full-spectrum. Regards

• sharkmelley and OldSchoolAstro like this

#5 GR-Amateur

GR-Amateur

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 September 2020 - 02:46 PM

#6 OldSchoolAstro

OldSchoolAstro

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 30 September 2020 - 04:02 PM

I have this exact combo currently (full spec D5300 and LPS-D2). I've only managed a few clear nights but so far its working well. I just added a Z61 and Asiair Pro along with guiding to my Star Adventurer so hoping to take longer exposures and see what I get. I'm currently considering getting the L-enhance or L-extreme 2" round filters for nights when the near full moon is up. Leaning towards the L-extreme but still looking into both.

#7 GR-Amateur

GR-Amateur

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 September 2020 - 07:41 PM

I assume that when you’ll be using one of those nearly narrow band 2” filters you’ll be forced to keep the clip in lps filter out (light suppression is maybe too high with both filters on). As stand alone, the most aggressive filter seems to be the most logical next step, subjected of course to the exposure time available.

#8 GR-Amateur

GR-Amateur

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 October 2020 - 12:40 PM

So, I removed the bonded LPFs today (yes actually one piece) from the D5300 Nikon and works perfectly. Autofocus with Lens is accurate and surprisingly with the Hutech lps d2 clip filter in place the camera colors are quite balanced so the camera can easily be used as “day camera” (didn’t expect that!!). Without the Hutech clip in filter of course it is a full spectrum camera where everything is pink etc (IR camera). Next step is pointing it on a nice red nebula... Many thanks MMalik 👍
  • mmalik likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics