•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cpc 1100

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Chopperbob1954

Chopperbob1954

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: Crawfordsville Indiana

Posted 28 September 2020 - 07:11 PM

I recently upgraded from a 8se to a cpc 1100. I'm selling all my celestron luminos eyepieces and barlow to help upgrade eyepieces. For me I want 3 Televue eyepieces for now. I just got 35mm panoptic for low magnification. Thinking Nagler 22mm for midrange, and either 13mm Nagler or either 12 or 14mm Delos for higher power till im able to afford any additional eyepieces. I only been doing this hobby going on 2 years and consider myself as a advanced beginner if that. My question is, will this be a good choice or not. It will be quite sometime before I'll be able to afford another eyepiece or dinner even, after I purchase the next to eyepieces, so I need to get this right so I thought I'd ask The pros. Thank you for any advice. 

• Procyon likes this

#2 Procyon

Procyon

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Eastern Canada

Posted 28 September 2020 - 09:15 PM

I recently upgraded from a 8se to a cpc 1100. I'm selling all my celestron luminos eyepieces and barlow to help upgrade eyepieces. For me I want 3 Televue eyepieces for now. I just got 35mm panoptic for low magnification. Thinking Nagler 22mm for midrange, and either 13mm Nagler or either 12 or 14mm Delos for higher power till im able to afford any additional eyepieces. I only been doing this hobby going on 2 years and consider myself as a advanced beginner if that. My question is, will this be a good choice or not. It will be quite sometime before I'll be able to afford another eyepiece or dinner even, after I purchase the next to eyepieces, so I need to get this right so I thought I'd ask The pros. Thank you for any advice. 

Did the same years ago, from 8 to 11 CPC. Nice choices you've made so far on the 35 Pan and 22 T4. A 12-14 would be perfect. If you don't mind the 1.25" to 2" adapters get the Delos. Otherwise maybe a 12.5 Morpheus or ES 12 92...

Edited by Procyon, 28 September 2020 - 11:39 PM.

• Chopperbob1954 likes this

#3 rexowner

rexowner

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: SF Bay Area, California

Posted 28 September 2020 - 09:51 PM

There's really no best answer that applies to everyone.  One important thing to me is eye relief.

The Pan35 has a generous 24mm, and the Nagler 22 has 19mm.  Personally, I find the Delos

with 20mm eye relief the most comfortable eyepieces, but YMMV. 

While the magnification difference is greater, one small factor that would favor the 12mm

Delos is that is it is parfocal with any future shorter focal length Delos, Naglers or Delites.

You'd be close to a 3:2:1 ratio, which isn't crazy.

Looks like the Morpheus and ES claim the same eye relief, so that may be a tie.

OTOH, the Pan 35 and Nagler aren't parfocal with either, so that might not be a big deal.

Personally, I am comfortable with Tele Vue eyepieces because they are easy to compare

with one another, ,and I know what to expect.  Others do a lot of experimentation to 

optimize their choices, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Honestly, any of the suggestions would be good choices.  Go with your gut, and the

(unlikely) worst case is a learning experience, but it will probably work out great.

#4 MitchAlsup

MitchAlsup

Aurora

• -----

Posted 29 September 2020 - 06:14 PM

You are on the right path:: for C11 (11" F/10)

Low Power: something in the 31NT5-to-35Pan-to-41Pan

Mid  Power: something in the 20E-to-22NT4

Med Power: something in the 12-14mm range

You will almost never use anything higher in power than 7mm

You will often be able to use as much as 9mm

The above 3 are used every observing session.

• Procyon and ewave like this

#5 Chopperbob1954

Chopperbob1954

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 30 September 2020 - 12:47 PM

I just ordered 14mm delos. Thank you for advice. Certified used open box. $299.00. Opt.

#6 Chopperbob1954

Chopperbob1954

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 30 September 2020 - 02:14 PM

Another question. I'd like to get 55 mm televue or 56mm celestron omni. They are both 4 element eyepieces. Omni 47° AFOV. The televue 50°. Price difference around  $150.00. That $150.00 would do a long was on a counterweight system.  Any suggestions here? I believe that I'm getting good advice here on money spent. Thank you.

#7 rexowner

rexowner

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: SF Bay Area, California

Posted 01 October 2020 - 12:39 AM

Again, no right or wrong answer, or one of the other companies couldn't sell anything

and would go out of business.

For me, I'd buy the Tele Vue.  I'll have mine for the rest of my life and leave them

to my kids.

A lot of folks would make an argument that you would see pretty much the same thing

with the Omni 47 degree, and that would be more budget friendly.

Totally up to you.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics