•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tube rings not flush all the way around

Orion equipment
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Astronomigo

Astronomigo

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 28 September 2020 - 07:37 PM

Just received an 8" f/5 from Orion, and there's a little bit of space between the rings and the tube in some places.

I will call the screws to close the rings at 3 o'clock.  At 3 and 9 o'clock things are flush, and at 6 and 12 things are not.

The maximum gap doesn't appear to be more than 1 mm.

I hesitate to tighten the rings much more because the tube already made a noise or two when I tightened the rings.

Is it normal for the rings not to be flush all the way around?  

#2 Bean614

Bean614

Apollo

• Loc: Mass.

Posted 28 September 2020 - 08:29 PM

"Is it normal for the rings not to be flush all the way around"

Yes.

#3 SteveG

SteveG

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 29 September 2020 - 07:03 PM

Just received an 8" f/5 from Orion, and there's a little bit of space between the rings and the tube in some places.

I will call the screws to close the rings at 3 o'clock.  At 3 and 9 o'clock things are flush, and at 6 and 12 things are not.

The maximum gap doesn't appear to be more than 1 mm.

I hesitate to tighten the rings much more because the tube already made a noise or two when I tightened the rings.

Is it normal for the rings not to be flush all the way around?  

Their rings are cast aluminum, somewhat crude. Provided they hold the tube securely, and you can loosen and rotate the tube as needed, you should be good.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Orion, equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics