•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Very Basic Newbie Question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 raylinds

raylinds

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Candlewood Lake, CT

Posted 28 September 2020 - 08:35 PM

I purchased a QHY5L-II-M for guiding. I am still shopping for a AP camera, but in the meantime, I would just like to use it to do a polar alignment with SharpCap. For that purpose, is there any reason that I cannot just mount it into the eyepiece diagonal?

#2 AZ Maverick

AZ Maverick

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Prescott, Arizona

Posted 28 September 2020 - 09:22 PM

I purchased a QHY5L-II-M for guiding. I am still shopping for a AP camera, but in the meantime, I would just like to use it to do a polar alignment with SharpCap. For that purpose, is there any reason that I cannot just mount it into the eyepiece diagonal?

If your telescope is the C9.25 as mentioned in your sig line, I'm pretty sure you won't have a wide enough FOV (field of view), especially if you aren't using a f6.3 focal reducer, for SharpCap to plate solve.

I suppose you could try it but I'd bet my next social security check that it won't work....

• raylinds likes this

#3 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Cosmos

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 28 September 2020 - 11:18 PM

Oh, and generally, try to avoid eyepeice diagonals when imaging. It is just another piece of glass you don't need in there. 

Alex

• raylinds likes this

#4 raylinds

raylinds

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 September 2020 - 07:35 AM

If your telescope is the C9.25 as mentioned in your sig line, I'm pretty sure you won't have a wide enough FOV (field of view), especially if you aren't using a f6.3 focal reducer, for SharpCap to plate solve.

I suppose you could try it but I'd bet my next social security check that it won't work....

I do have a f6.3 FR, so will try it with that. Thanks.

#5 raylinds

raylinds

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 September 2020 - 07:38 AM

Oh, and generally, try to avoid eyepeice diagonals when imaging. It is just another piece of glass you don't need in there. 

Alex

That is as I suspected, but I only wanted to use the camera for doing a polar alignment in StarCap for visual observation for the time being.  I wasn't sure if the image degradation would interfere with the plate solving. I am planning to get a ASI294 in the near future.

#6 Stelios

Stelios

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 29 September 2020 - 04:19 PM

That is as I suspected, but I only wanted to use the camera for doing a polar alignment in StarCap for visual observation for the time being.  I wasn't sure if the image degradation would interfere with the plate solving. I am planning to get a ASI294 in the near future.

You don't need to bother with Sharpcap for visual observation. Eyeballing Polaris through the mount hole is good enough, ASPA if you want even better. 

Expect a lot of refocusing needed when replacing camera with eyepiece. Good idea to experiment in the daytime to get a feel for how much. 

#7 audioengr

audioengr

Ranger 4

Posted 29 September 2020 - 06:15 PM

You don't need to bother with Sharpcap for visual observation. Eyeballing Polaris through the mount hole is good enough, ASPA if you want even better. 

Expect a lot of refocusing needed when replacing camera with eyepiece. Good idea to experiment in the daytime to get a feel for how much. 

I have this refocusing problem, and it's a PIA with a motorized focuser on the Celestion Evolution mount.  I plan to dedicate one eyepiece to this and then pull out the camera nosepiece until the focus matches the eyepiece.  Then mark the camera so I install it to the same depth each time.  That way, I'm not searching for things with the camera when they are out of focus.  I always know they are in the field using the eyepiece and when I stick the camera in, it will be pretty close to focused.  Make sense?

#8 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Cosmos

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 29 September 2020 - 06:25 PM

Look into "Parfocalizing rings." They set just how far an eyepiece or camera will fit into a focuser tube. Used properly, you can swap one for another rather easily. (and swap among eyepieces without refocusing). 

In either case, before actually imaging, refocus the camera. Just use your swap method as a cheat. But it is not accurate enough for imaging. 

Alex

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics