•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cold Weather Imaging - ASI2600MC Pro TEC Cooling

astrophotography CMOS equipment
  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#26 sn2006gy

sn2006gy

Viking 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 29 September 2020 - 11:07 PM

Bob - spot on - this message keeps popping up too 

the 2600 STILL needs darks - dither does not take care of all issues like FPN etc and as Bob rightly says - it leads newcomers into difficulty 

I know .. I am constantly having to deal with people who have processing problems who have been told you don't need to bother

Its does a terrible disservice to newcomers who then run into issues when they don't get the results they expect and causes a real problem for the support teams to then have to pick up the problem as the newcomer then blames their new camera!

I scream it from the mountain tops. If you Dither, Take Flats, Flat darks (or bias) you don't need Darks.  Dithering gets rid of FPN too.

I don't think we need to baby the community. In a topic about clean sensors, it is perfectly valid to talk about how clean they are.

Not once have i ever said "don't take darks". You can certainly do whatever it is you want to do. BUT, if you dither, take flats, flatdarks or bias frames, you will not have noise nor FPN.

In fact, i say it so much it probably annoys people. So I apologize for saying it again.

"Dither or Die" as the FPN threads say

Flatfield correction with dark flats also helps correct fixed pattern noise (fpn) https://en.wikipedia...ield_correction

Edited by sn2006gy, 29 September 2020 - 11:39 PM.

#27 ZL4PLM

ZL4PLM

Vendor - ZWO Product Dev Team Member

• Vendors
  • Loc: Darfield, New Zealand

Posted 30 September 2020 - 02:12 PM

Around the north rim of the Grand Canyon camping.

jealous!!!!!

:) 

#28 sn2006gy

sn2006gy

Viking 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 01 October 2020 - 08:09 AM

jealous!!!!!

smile.gif

Me too.

I didn't make it to the mountains or anywhere this summer :(

#29 Grimstod

Grimstod

Mariner 2

Posted 01 October 2020 - 10:47 AM

Going cooler lowers noise. Period. Who wants more noise? I personally have a library of darks for every Gain setting and bin level that I use in 5C increments from 10C to -35C and I will probably ad some -40 this winter when it gets cold. 

You can always put your camera in the fridge to get darks at colder temperatures. Or do them in the morning as the sun comes up but its still cool. Mine is at home right this minute getting me some fresh Darks at -25C. Make sure thought that your equipment is not in the light. I have had darks get polluted by even room lights when doing 1000s subs. 

Edited by Grimstod, 01 October 2020 - 12:16 PM.

#30 Janco

Janco

Mariner 2

• Loc: Johannesburg, South Africa

Posted 01 October 2020 - 11:02 AM

If you are going to a super dark site cool as much as you can.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, CMOS, equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics