•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ARG47 and B1337

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rugby

rugby

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: London Ontario Canada

Posted 28 September 2020 - 09:51 PM

As much as I enjoy "Struving" (a Cotts designation) some of the lesser lights of double stars prove very intriguing. Two examples are Argelander 47 and Burnham 1337 found about a degree west north-west of Beta Cass. They were brought to my attention by flt158. Using ssmith's photo of the area I could make a positive identification of the field. There was however a surprise.
First, ARG47 was easily swept up in my 150 ES triplet at 150x. It appeared bright with a small mag. difference. The second pair, B1337, has a primart of similar brightness as Arg47 but its secondary was on the edge of what I could see using averted vision at least on this slightly hazy and moonlit night. I was very happy to see this star as double. The carbon star Case 270 lies close following and given my success with B1337 thought I might just be able to see it. Such was not the case (pardon a weak pun). I saw nothing. Has this anything to do with its spectral class? I don't see red very well.
  • R Botero, mauigazer, Michael Covington and 2 others like this

#2 ssmith

ssmith

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 29 September 2020 - 09:04 AM

The carbon star Case 270 lies close following and given my success with B1337 thought I might just be able to see it. Such was not the case (pardon a weak pun). I saw nothing. Has this anything to do with its spectral class? I don't see red very well.

You are not alone - one of the factors that makes observing Carbon Stars challenging is due to the physiology of our eyes.  From Wikipedia:

60E77E86-8182-45D9-9DD7-F44FA04C82DC.jpeg

• fred1871, flt158 and nerich like this

#3 flt158

flt158

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Dublin, Republic of Ireland

Posted 29 September 2020 - 09:47 AM

Hello, Rugby. 

Thank you for your contribution in regards to ARG 47 and BU 1337. 

And a big thank you to you, Steve, as you have provided us all in regards to what the Purkinje effect is. 

We all must keep learning. 

Over on the Observational Astrophysics forum I shared that I needed 280X to catch a glimpse of Case 270. 

Please do check it out, Rugby. 

Therefore you might require more magnification so see it.

Clear skies, 

Aubrey.  

• nerich likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics