•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Wide angle finder?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Gschnettler

Gschnettler

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Cincinnati Ohio

Posted 28 September 2020 - 10:07 PM

I have a little 6x30 finder and it’s oftentimes hard for me to find things.  I like the 6x view but I wish it was wider.  I don’t care for the type that don’t zoom in at all. And recommendations?

#2 Redbetter

Redbetter

Cosmos

• Loc: Central Valley, CA

Posted 29 September 2020 - 12:20 AM

You might need to clarify what you have and what you are seeking.  Is this a 6x30 straight through, RA, something else?  A 6x30 is about as wide in true field of view as is available with standard finders, at roughly 7 apparent degrees.  I am not sure what is out there that could go wider as a basic finder.  (My old 6x30 straight through appears to have ~120mm focal length to the cross hair-focal plane, which is ~13.5mm for almost 6.5 deg of true field, but I haven't drift timed it.)

I assume that when referring to ones that "don't zoom" you mean RDF's and Telrad types, 1x.  However, for scopes where an RDF or Telrad is not sufficient, I wouldn't recommend a traditional finder alone anyway.  Instead, they work best together.  The 1x finder gets you in the general field for hopping using the traditional finder.  So you might want to reconsider how you are employing the finder and whether it could be augmented with something simple like an RDF.

Some folks use both eyes and do the initial hop with one eye looking through the fully inverted straight through finder, while using the other eye to locate the general vicinity.  I didn't find this practical/comfortable and I might be describing it incorrectly.  

• Jon Isaacs likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics