•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

I'm helping my friends neighbor with an 8" f6.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 stargazer193857

stargazer193857

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: Southern Idaho

Posted 28 September 2020 - 11:14 PM

My landlord has dark sky property, which I'm invited to often. He has neighbors with a brand new 8" f6.

They could not find anything with it. So I offered to help.

I loaned them my 5.5mm 82 deg eyepiece and 6" Starblast for comparison.
I discovered their center bolt was so tight that the feet returned with the tube in AZ. So I loosened it.
The 8" f6 could not focus on a nearby roof or trees, so lack of focus confused them. I told the they need to go to the back yard to focus on far away stuff.
They did not know what a red don't finder or Telrad is, or how to mount them. So I explained and showed them.
I explained how to aim the scope, change eyepieces, and find stuff.
I told them where the planets are.
My landlord explained how bright the moon is.

I had to go, but they told me they now understood enough to figure out how to do the rest. I told them I'd be back after the full moon to show them galaxies and give more detailed training.

That brand new 8" f6. Had sat unused for at least 2 months. My friends, who have an older 8" f6 they no longer use, did not recognize it was the same scope brand and size scope they have, describing it as a 10".

The owner also had no idea how to carry it correctly, and is lucky the springs kept it together.
  • maroubra_boy, Augustus, wrnchhead and 1 other like this

#2 wessmire

wessmire

Lift Off

Posted 29 September 2020 - 02:18 AM

It's funny how a few minutes surfing the web could have saved them from the embarrassment of having a neighbor's friend come over and show you how to turn on your new tv.

• Augustus likes this

#3 stargazer193857

stargazer193857

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: Southern Idaho

Posted 29 September 2020 - 06:52 PM

I watched the father carry the 8", and saw his little son helping by carrying some slack. All one piece, sideways, held together by the springs. Looked very awkward.

I'll tell them about CloudyNights.

#4 Bowlerhat

Bowlerhat

Viking 1

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 04 October 2020 - 09:46 AM

It's funny how a few minutes surfing the web could have saved them from the embarrassment of having a neighbor's friend come over and show you how to turn on your new tv.

For all it's worth it's also possible they're getting the socpe after few minutes surfing the web...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics