•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter and Mars (with moons), 28 Sep 2020

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Tulloch

Tulloch

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 29 September 2020 - 12:17 AM

A nice settled night in Melbourne (as BrettD has already shown with a previous post) provided some good images of Jupiter and Mars. I should have stayed out for longer as Mars was still rising, but I called it at around midnight after which the seeing appeared to improve foreheadslap.gif .

With Mars, I also took an overexposed image to try to extract Phobos and Deimos, and was able to (just) eek out enough signal for Deimos, Phobos was a little easier. The image below is a composite of multiple captures, with the moons layered on top of the well exposed Mars image. There appears to be some cloud at the 3 o'clock position on Mars, not sure what else those white spots could be?

Andrew

Celestron Evolution 9.25" SCT @ around f/21 with 2.5x TV PowerMate, ASI 224MC, stacked in AS!3 with 3x drizzle, sharpened in Registax, final touches in Photoshop Elements, Jupiter shown at captured size, Mars shown 50% larger than captured.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2020-09-28-1047_4-L-Jup_AS_F10000_l6_ap69_Driz30 Jup925mid r1g1b11 ps2sm100.png
  • 2020-09-28-1332_0-L-Mars_AS_P75_l6_ap1_Driz30 with moons ps1sm150.png

• TorstenEdelmann, Sunspot, mtc and 30 others like this

#2 Ittaku

Ittaku

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 29 September 2020 - 12:32 AM

A nice settled night in Melbourne (as BrettD has already shown with a previous post) provided some good images of Jupiter and Mars. I should have stayed out for longer as Mars was still rising, but I called it at around midnight after which the seeing appeared to improve foreheadslap.gif .

Yeah I was up trying to get all the planets including a good Mars. However at about three am everything got drenched in dew. I'm surprised the family didn't complain about the sound of a hairdryer at 3am outside their bedroom windows.

• Tulloch likes this

#3 KiwiRay

KiwiRay

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Seattle, USA

Posted 29 September 2020 - 12:51 AM

Good images, Andrew. I'm still envious of your Jupiter images - I can't even get it above the trees now. 

The cloud you've identified is mostly over Arsia Mons. Looking at the blue channel will help you see the extent of it.  Other recent images suggest it may be spreading to Pavonis Mons by sunset.

• rehling and Tulloch like this

#4 Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Carterton, New Zealand

Posted 29 September 2020 - 01:10 AM

Very nice images Andrew. Well done getting the moons of Mars.

Cheers Paul

• Tulloch likes this

#5 Tulloch

Tulloch

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 29 September 2020 - 01:37 AM

Good images, Andrew. I'm still envious of your Jupiter images - I can't even get it above the trees now. 

The cloud you've identified is mostly over Arsia Mons. Looking at the blue channel will help you see the extent of it.  Other recent images suggest it may be spreading to Pavonis Mons by sunset.

Thanks Ray, well here is the blue channel (enhanced quite a bit). There might be 3 cloud patches there?

Attached Thumbnails

• 2020-09-28-1348_2-L-Mars_AS_F7500_l6_ap95_Driz30 Mars925FC-D r1g1b11 blue channel enhanced.png

Edited by Tulloch, 29 September 2020 - 01:37 AM.

#6 Tulloch

Tulloch

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 29 September 2020 - 01:39 AM

Yeah I was up trying to get all the planets including a good Mars. However at about three am everything got drenched in dew. I'm surprised the family didn't complain about the sound of a hairdryer at 3am outside their bedroom windows.

Heh, everything is loud at 3am - which is why I use a small fan heater, it's almost silent...

• Ittaku likes this

#7 BrettD

BrettD

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 29 September 2020 - 01:41 AM

Great images (as always) 

Now that you point it out, I THINK I can also see a hint of the clouds in my mars animation (appended to my thread) ...  although it's much clearer in your image)

• Tulloch likes this

#8 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Soyuz

• Loc: Red Centre, Oz

Posted 29 September 2020 - 03:44 AM

Very nice captures, Andrew. Still fun to watch those Jovian storms flying around the NTrZ.

My imaging season may be over. It's now been over a week of clouds and dust storms…

BQ

• Tulloch likes this

#9 Foc

Foc

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Canberra

Posted 29 September 2020 - 08:15 AM

Great fine detail on your Jupiter. I am guessing I still need better seeing to catch the moons in my C8,, what were your firecapture settings for the Martian Moons?

#10 Tulloch

Tulloch

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 29 September 2020 - 10:06 AM

Great fine detail on your Jupiter. I am guessing I still need better seeing to catch the moons in my C8,, what were your firecapture settings for the Martian Moons?

Thanks Ross, pretty much same settings that I use for Saturn, gain 370, 100ms shutter speed. The moons are about the same brightness at Saturn's moons, but you have to make sure they are at their furthest point away from the planet.

• JMP likes this

#11 dhammy

dhammy

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Puerto Rico

Posted 29 September 2020 - 05:30 PM

Very nice - you've got a nice composition on Jupiter with GRS, Oval BA, Io and shadow plus outbreak #1. 

• Tulloch likes this

#12 Tulloch

Tulloch

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 29 September 2020 - 06:28 PM

Very nice - you've got a nice composition on Jupiter with GRS, Oval BA, Io and shadow plus outbreak #1. 

Thanks David, yes, a bit of everything there on Jupiter - otherwise I probably wouldn't have bothered. I really wanted to get that blueish area on the LHS also, but the seeing deteriorated and quality was lower. I might have another go later ...

• dhammy likes this

#13 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 30 September 2020 - 07:11 AM

They're pretty nice images Andrew! waytogo.gif  The Oval BA is powering away from the GRS.

• Tulloch likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics