•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Anyone else poor seeing in western Washington tonight?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Exotics4fun

Exotics4fun

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 September 2020 - 12:34 AM

Going crazy and can't tell if something is wrong with my equipment or if it's conditions. Beautiful clear night. Bright moon, sure, but planets look blurry. Out of focus. No real detail. Stars seem just not quite right. Using a 9.25 SCT and hoping it's just conditions here in Snoqualmie. Anyone else? Over a year in and first time experiencing this...

#2 Dobserver

Dobserver

Lift Off

• Loc: Pasadena, CA, USA

Posted 29 September 2020 - 03:14 AM

Not sure but in Los Angeles last night was the worst seeing I've ever seen. Even at low power everything looked like it was boiling like crazy. Maybe related to your situation as there are shifting weather fronts now affecting the West Coast (?)

#3 CeeKay

CeeKay

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Vancouver, WA

Posted 29 September 2020 - 06:25 AM

I'm in Vancouver, WA... and have to agree with you.  Temp here yesterday was 86 degrees (was in the low 70's when I started viewing).  Not sure if there was a lot of upper air turbulence or just a lot of residual heat bleeding off from houses and streets.

#4 donstim

donstim

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Seattle Area, WA USA

Posted 30 September 2020 - 02:08 PM

It was a lot of turbulence. Had the same experience. Worst I've experienced. Was good last night, though.

#5 skygazer66WA

skygazer66WA

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Oregon Territory

Posted 03 October 2020 - 01:17 AM

Although there is some smoke and haze in the sky (AQI=74) the seeing is good for this area (southwest WA) tonight, Oct. 2. Mars looks pretty sharp through the 80mm scope at 160x. The nearby Moon looks good as well. 

#6 van_isle_skies

van_isle_skies

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 October 2020 - 11:43 AM

Past couple of nights on Vancouver Island everything has had a red tinge from the wild fire smoke coming up from California.  Mars looked really cool though.

Speaking of the fires, stay safe my southern friends.

#7 PNW

PNW

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Lummi Island, WA

Posted 03 October 2020 - 11:42 PM

My nemesis is dew. It seems to fall in buckets.

#8 litesong

litesong

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 09 October 2020 - 03:01 AM

3[quote name="PNW" post="10556198" timestamp=",6Ghost
My nemesis is dew. It seems to fall in buckets.[/quote]
Glad to hear from other Washingtonians. Dew shuts down my lens quickly. Don’t have a telescope....just an old Pentax 42mm screw-mount 1000mm lens with attached integrated Diagonal & eyepiece. Can’t change powers. Am limited to 60power. Split double stars under 3arcseconds. I’m not too unhappy. Split Epsilon Bootis and Zeta Aquarii. Passing pedestrians looking thru my lens, enjoy the views.

Edited by litesong, 09 October 2020 - 11:35 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics