•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Attach webcam to finderscope

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ivazquez

ivazquez

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Guadalajara, Spain

Posted 29 September 2020 - 02:54 AM

Hi,

As most of us, I face the problem of looking for objects near the zenith, yesterday was impossible for me to look for Cocoon Nebula. I even got some kind of motion sickness (perhaps it's not the correct word, sorry for my English) due to the position of the neck since my sky is contaminated and I started at Deneb and it was realy high. So I thought about the possibility of attaching a webcam (I would need to buy one) to the finderscope so I can display its output on a laptop or tablet. I don't want to use it as a guidesope.

Have any of you tried it? Do you loose much of the field? What magnitude are you able to see? My finderscope is a 7x50.

Thanks.

#2 Migwan

Migwan

Vanguard

• Loc: Meeechigan

Posted 29 September 2020 - 03:40 AM

Can't answer the question, but you might also consider obtaining a right angled correct image (RACI) finder scope.  That would be simpler and wouldn't be as hard on your night vision.  jd

#3 ivazquez

ivazquez

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 September 2020 - 03:47 AM

Can't answer the question, but you might also consider obtaining a right angled correct image (RACI) finder scope.  That would be simpler and wouldn't be as hard on your night vision.  jd

Simpler and mor convinient... but expensive. I cannot aford it right now. 

#4 cmooney91

cmooney91

Messenger

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 07:51 AM

A normal web cam might not be able to use long enough exposures.

I frequently use an E-finder, but it is more expensive (~$180). I use a $160 RisingCam IMX224, combined with a $15 25mm F1.4 C mount lens.  The $150 SVbony SV305 (imx290) should also work, but the IMX224 is more sensitive.

The combo of a high sensitivity low noise sensor, and a fast 25mm lens with wide ~11deg FOV allows streaming short 0.25-1s exposures full of stars. Most messier objects will show up in the E-finder as tiny smudges, so they make great real time finder scopes. 

Here is an example on NGC2175 between Orion and Gemini. 

The same combo can be used for widefield EAA live stacking from a non tracking mount but that is another topic.

#5 rhetfield

rhetfield

Viking 1

• Loc: Suburban Chicago, IL, USA

Posted 29 September 2020 - 11:03 AM

Hi,

As most of us, I face the problem of looking for objects near the zenith, yesterday was impossible for me to look for Cocoon Nebula. I even got some kind of motion sickness (perhaps it's not the correct word, sorry for my English) due to the position of the neck since my sky is contaminated and I started at Deneb and it was realy high. So I thought about the possibility of attaching a webcam (I would need to buy one) to the finderscope so I can display its output on a laptop or tablet. I don't want to use it as a guidesope.

Have any of you tried it? Do you loose much of the field? What magnitude are you able to see? My finderscope is a 7x50.

Thanks.

Without knowing what equipment you have, might this be an option?

https://www.cloudyni...degree-circles/

I align to polaris (or whatever other thing might be handy) turn off the red dot and just push-to the object of interest.

• Migwan likes this

#6 ivazquez

ivazquez

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 September 2020 - 01:50 AM

Without knowing what equipment you have, might this be an option?

https://www.cloudyni...degree-circles/

I align to polaris (or whatever other thing might be handy) turn off the red dot and just push-to the object of interest.

Looks good maybe it's worth a try. I found digital inclinometers for 11€ on AliexPress. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics