•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Best Binocular under 300$

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 CBC

CBC

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 September 2020 - 03:00 AM

Hi everyone!

I am looking for my first pair of decent binoculars (I already have a budget 10x50 binoculars).

My initial budget would be around 300$ and I would like to ask for help before jump in to buy anything.

I have been reserching a lot and my top 3, leaving aside the premium models like Lunt Engineering APM, Omegon Argus, Fujinon, Helios Light Quest, etc.. are the following:

1.- Helios Stellar II 15x70
2.- Oberwerk Deluxe 15x70
3.- Helios Stellar II 20x80

I am fully aware that nowadays the market are flooded of kunming products and i have the feeling that all the models are the same product with different label on it. (Yes, I am aware of the subtle nuances like quality of coating, internal baffling..)

In your experience, would you recommed me any other good model?

Thanks a lot!

#2 Mark9473

Mark9473

Voyager 1

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 29 September 2020 - 03:14 AM

Not sure where you are - you mention UK models but US currency.

In case you're in the UK, Oberwerk also has a European store: https://www.oberwerk...5x70-green.html

I'd go with these myself, of the three you listed.

#3 CBC

CBC

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 September 2020 - 04:12 AM

Hi Mark9473.

Yes I agree that is a bit disconcerting.. sorry for that.

In fact I am from Spain but I put the budget in dolars due to I though that there were a lot of american people in the forum and this way would be easier.

Following with the thread, at first,  I though of buying the Helios in First Light Optics store, despite of the shipping cost, but recently, Oberwerk updated their online store with a lot of new cool stuff ready to order.

I have been searching in the internet forums about more recent reviews of this model to compare with the Helios review made by Steve Tokin's in their excellent binocularsky web but I had not luck.

The only objection I have to that model is the central focus versus individual focus of Helios brand (better sealing).

I think is difficult to say, but, you could say that this is a midway between Helios Stellar II and Apollo binoculars?

Do you know if oberwerk's have filter threads?

Thanks a lot!

#4 Neil Sanford

Neil Sanford

Mariner 2

Posted 29 September 2020 - 11:04 AM

On this Forum, Oberwerk's Kevin has an excellent reputation for responsiveness to customers and responsibility for his products.  My personal experience agrees. 

Probably you could email him any question you have, and would receive a full reply.  He might even be willing to comment fairly about competing products. 

Keep us informed with your progress and decision.

#5 whosthebadman

whosthebadman

Vostok 1

• Loc: upper midwest? upper midbest.

Posted 29 September 2020 - 11:52 AM

1.- Helios Stellar II 15x70
2.- Oberwerk Deluxe 15x70
3.- Helios Stellar II 20x80

All 3 of the options you list have magnification that will be too high to hold steadily/stable without a tripod.  Do you have a tripod?

Are you wanting to hand-hold the binoculars?

#6 CBC

CBC

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 September 2020 - 12:26 PM

Hi and thank you everyone for your answers.

Yes whosthebadman I am aware, and thank you for your concern, that at X15 I will need to use a tripod to hold the image steady, not to talk at X20.

My idea is to have a equipment ready for a quick look and if I I have enought time, set up with a tripod that I already have.

The things is to try to get the better equipment at lower price, as everybody would like, having mind the limitations.

I will ask Oberwerk's Kevin for help, but meanwhile, does anybody have this model that could tell me a fair review (as I said, all I could find was very old reviews of this model..)

Thanks and cloudy nights for everyone.

#7 Mark9473

Mark9473

Voyager 1

Posted 29 September 2020 - 12:59 PM

Those Helios Stellar are identical to the Oberwerk Ultra.

I would think if you search this forum for comparisons between the 15x70 Deluxe and Ultra, you'd get several hits.

For my preferences, if I was interested in a heavy IF model, I would save up for the APM MS ED.

#8 astronomus1930

astronomus1930

Lift Off

Posted 29 September 2020 - 02:32 PM

I have the Obie 15x70 Deluxe and the eyepieces are threaded for 1.25" filters. That should equate to 32 mm. Another contributor to this site once commented that only 1 filter is needed as the brain will meld the 2 images together. I tried it with a Lumicon UHC filter and it seems to work!

You can only hold these for a few moments so a monopod or tripod is needed but I am very pleased with them.

Good hunting!

#9 CBC

CBC

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 September 2020 - 04:42 PM

Your answers give food for thoughts, on the one hand I agree with Mark about the similarities between Ultra and I would say Helios Apollo model (more than Stellar II) (something must be different owing to the Ultra model cost more than twice the Stellar II). On the other hand I am happy to know that Obie's eyepieces are threaded, this feature (that the more expensive Apollo's has) without making me to enter in the DIY zone makes more attractive to me than the Stellar II.

Astronomous1930 what can you say me about sharpness and percentage of sweet spot in your binos?

Thaks for your help and support.

I will contact with Oberwerk's Kevin to ask for more info.

Good cloudy nights!

Edited by CBC, 30 September 2020 - 12:11 AM.

#10 Mark9473

Mark9473

Voyager 1

Posted 29 September 2020 - 05:16 PM

You may have a point that I was fooled by the physical similarities.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics